Photo

Are there any differences in Piracy and Stealing?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

These days I'm finding the cost of a show can get very expensive.

I think my first show was $3.50. It was ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and minimum wage was about $2.00.

Applying various economic forces, a show should be about $10-$12.

#32 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

I looked up Rhapsody and it seems like a good idea. I had seen their commercials and wondered how you could get infinite music for $10/month and the answer is simple...you can play it but you don't have a copy of your own. That's fine and it's a good compromise. It allows fairly cheap exploration, which is what I'm generally for. But it's still limited, since it's a computer based service and you can't play it in your car or on your home stereo, etc.

Can't you just play it on your phone then? Listen to it on your headphones at the gym etc?

Probably, but if I have to shell out hundreds for a phone that can play the music then it suddenly changes the calculation about how much it costs to use Rhapsody. My phone is pretty bare bones.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#33 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:32 AM

I think my first show was $3.50. It was ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and minimum wage was about $2.00.

My first show was AC/DC and it was 4 pounds (approx $6-$7) and LPs (yes those things) cost pretty much the same price. Thirty years on and buying music hasn't changed too much, whereas you can't get into an AC/Dc show for much less than $100.
Show me your dragon magic

#34 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

My first show was AC/DC and it was 4 pounds (approx $6-$7) and LPs (yes those things) cost pretty much the same price. Thirty years on and buying music hasn't changed too much, whereas you can't get into an AC/Dc show for much less than $100.

AC/DC in the 70s??? Ok, I missed your thesis, but Bon Scott??? Normally sir, I drink from a travel flast, but in your honor... I drink from glass.
Cheers

#35 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

Posted Image

Ahem... sir, you left out the critical point... bourbon, whisky, scotch. for instance, upon certain concentrations, and at certain pressures, I am critical.

#36 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Also enforcing the convenience factor is the fact that music stores these days have horrible selection. Aside from greatest hits packages, the only place I can find Cure albums is the HMV here in Toronto. Hell, I had to order Tommy's album when that came out, and that took a good month. Most Joe Six Packs can't be bothered.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#37 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

AC/DC in the 70s??? Ok, I missed your thesis, but Bon Scott??? Normally sir, I drink from a travel flast, but in your honor... I drink from glass.
Cheers

Unfortunately I just missed Bon. It was the first tour with Johnson in 1980, but at the same venue where Bon did his last show earlier in the year.

#38 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Here is a perfect reason for Downloading. Just downloaded the New Michelle Branch EP that has been pushed back almost as much as CD . The thing has been sold at her most resent shows but still not put out for any one else.

#39 Blue Cut

Blue Cut

Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

I'd download a car. ... didn't Radiohead release an album for free (or you could pay of it whatever you wanted) as internet download and you could also buy it as CD? I remember reading that free internet distribution didn't affect the sales. I wouldn't pay for a download, hell, I want to have the CD. And what happens if my computer is busted? Does amazon have a "download all my purchases again"-option? I personally rarely download music illegally, I'm listening to jonathan instead.

#40 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

I'd download a car.

... didn't Radiohead release an album for free (or you could pay of it whatever you wanted) as internet download and you could also buy it as CD? I remember reading that free internet distribution didn't affect the sales.

Yeah, but it's their product to choose how to distribute. Increasing sales by downloading for free isn't a legal option for the downloader, and someone presenting free downloading as a favour to the artist is quite comical IMO.

I wouldn't pay for a download, hell, I want to have the CD. And what happens if my computer is busted? Does amazon have a "download all my purchases again"-option?

Amazon doesn't have a "send you a new CD if you break it" option either. Other download services do have a download your purchases again for free option - 7digital for example.

#41 Blue Cut

Blue Cut

Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

I think it's unlikely for me to have an "accident" and break all of my cd's, off course I can back up my computer, but really if I like a record I want it as an item, cd-case and all.

#42 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

I wouldn't pay for a download, hell, I want to have the CD. And what happens if my computer is busted? Does amazon have a "download all my purchases again"-option?

Amazon doesn't have a "send you a new CD if you break it" option either. Other download services do have a download your purchases again for free option - 7digital for example.

All the more reason for record companies to fight piracy. There's a way for you to cheaply (free, assuming you've already paid the cost of a computer) make digital backups and even hard copies. People used to wear out their tapes and cds, then replace their much beloved product. That probably doesn't happen as much these days. Shit, iTunes TELLS you, after you buy so many songs, that you should back that shit up. I can't imagine a record company telling you how to protect your purchase. They'd rather you leave it open in a hot car, perhaps dangle it near the Missus as she uses hairspray, etc.

Tangentially, have you noticed how some companies have tried suing over your taking a BOUGHT cd and transferring it to a digital format to use in your mp3 player? In for a penny, I suppose. Once your reputation as anti-innovation is solidified, might as well sue those who buy your shitty product as well.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#43 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

yeah, i always buy CD rip it, and burn a disc and put the original in a shoebox Id say Record Companies have lost quite a few sales just in people no longer buying multiple copies i know ive owned 3 or 4 copies of every GNR release.. now see, u just burn new copies instead of buying new when u fuck up the original.
Think u can draft the ultimate band? Sign up and compete against fellow Syndicate members:http://www.thegnrsyn...id=41300#p41300

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users