4463 replies to this topic

#4306 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:44 AM

Nunes buried evidence on Russian meddling to protect Trump. I know because I’m on the committee

No one really expected President Donald Trump, who benefited from Russia’s 2016 election interference, to counter that hostile regime’s active measures: Russia wanted him to win, and when they hacked, he invited them to hack more.

But America should have been able to rely on a united Congress to ensure that our next elections aren’t just as vulnerable if not moreso. Instead, due to House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes’ persistent and pernicious obstruction, America has been spectacularly let down.

Just last week, hours before the Republican-led House recessed for six weeks, Nunes broke out his shovel yet again to bury even deeper the evidence of Russian interference, once again demonstrating there’s no distance he won’t go to protect this president.

Nunes and committee Republicans had promised that the American people would see our interview transcripts after the investigation was completed. When they abruptly ended the investigation without calling dozens of relevant witnesses, they voted to conceal the transcripts.

Suddenly, last month, Nunes agreed to release them. Perhaps he was worried about the burgeoning campaign of his Democratic opponent — a local prosecutor named Andrew Janz, whose argument to the voters includes powerful evidence of Nunes’ efforts to poison the Russia investigation.

But predictably, at a hearing last week on releasing the transcripts, Nunes still wouldn’t allow real transparency.

Committee Democrats asked to immediately send the transcripts to Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who hasn’t been allowed to see them under Nunes’ rules. There’s good reason to believe many witnesses committed perjury or offered information relevant to the special counsel’s work. But Nunes opposed it, and it was voted down.

Committee Democrats then moved to have the transcripts released to the public immediately — after a 10-day intelligence community review — to avoid any selective release or other political manipulation. Again, Nunes opposed this.

This is his modus operandi. Though incomplete due to Republican obstruction, our investigation did reveal worrisome contacts between the Russians and candidate Trump, his family, his businesses, and his campaign. Yet every time we sought to learn more, we were blocked.

We sought to test witnesses’ accounts by subpoenaing third-party records such as cell phone, bank and travel records. Republicans refused to allow it.

To arrange the infamous June 9, 2016 Trump Tower meeting, Donald Trump Jr. called his Russian contact, then called a blocked number, and then called his Russian contact back. We had evidence from other witnesses that Donald Trump used a blocked number. Republicans refused to pursue whether it was the same number.

The Republicans ran a “take them at their word” investigation when most of the Trump team clearly didn’t deserve that benefit of the doubt. So at last week’s hearing, I moved to subpoena many of the records that could fill a lot of the gaps. Nunes nixed it.

Reviewing his plans, we saw a glaring omission: the transcript of Congressman Dana Rohrabacher’s interview. I took part in that lengthy interview and I was disturbed by his contacts with Russia before and during the 2015-16 campaign. So Democrats at our hearing moved to release Rohrabacher’s transcript, plus several others; Nunes killed our effort. He’s burying that transcript to protect his friend — also in a tight re-election battle against Harley Rouda in Orange County — just as he has protected President Trump.

The Nunes fix was in from the very start. Soon after 2016’s election, as we began to see the breadth of Russia’s interference, I had approached him with an idea: “Let’s have an independent commission look at what the Russians did,” just as we had after the Sept. 11 attacks.

“We can handle this on the committee,” Nunes insisted. I was doubtful, but I never expected that by “handle,” he meant “bury.”

We’re not helpless. A new Congress consisting of people who put fair elections and the rule of law above party can restore our democracy.

That’s why I support Andrew Janz: not because he’s “anyone but Nunes,” but because as a prosecutor, he knows that upholding the law is most important.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not giving up on Republicans. Many have told me privately that they knew Nunes and Trump were dead wrong, but they wouldn’t speak out for fear of incurring the president’s Twitter wrath. “When he tweets, he wins,” one told me.

In November, let’s show the president, and congressional enablers like Nunes, that we will not be bullied. And when Democrats hold the majority, it will be our responsibility to unite with any Republicans willing to defend this great nation.

Swalwell, a Democrat representing California’s 15th district, is a member of the U.S. House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and is the ranking member of the subcommittee on the CIA.

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#4307 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:16 AM

#4308 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:47 AM

This one's a doozy

#4309 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:01 AM

Damn

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#4310 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

If only "both sides" would tone down the rhetoric, we could begin to heal, amirite?

#4311 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 11:34 AM

gabJ8Hg.jpg

#4312 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

The guys who laid the tile in my house had a work van that looked very similar. Except it was a shittier van, but it had about as many crazy stickers all over it. 

#4313 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

haha, mealy mouth fascist Flagg wants an apology because people called this an assassination attempt, and according to his reporting these bombs weren't meant to hurt anybody. 

That's where we're at now...

#4314 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

^^^ Jesus Fucking Christ! The trumpist Teabagger terrorist might've been a shit engineer, but his intentions are obvious to anyone with a functioning cerebrum.

#4315 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

haha, mealy mouth fascist Flagg wants an apology because people called this an assassination attempt, and according to his reporting these bombs weren't meant to hurt anybody. 

That's where we're at now...

LOL, what a snowflake.

Show me your dragon magic

#4316 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

Should call him SnowFlagg from now on

Show me your dragon magic

#4317 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:01 AM

#4318 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:25 PM

Predictions? 

#4319 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

I have never had to stand in long lines to vote in off-year elections. The wait was over an hour today. Hopefully, it is a good sign for the Democratic challenger to our teabagger Trump bootlicker shithead of a congressman.

#4320 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:32 PM

Damn! The news is reporting that it is a record turnout, here.

edit: it's starting to look like the record turnout in Lex is going to be enough to flip our district blue.

In '16, Orange Hitler won the district by 15pnts due to good turnout by the rural hicktards of the district(once outside of the metro area, it's fucking redneck as shit).

edit: Well, shit! Looks like the hicktards were out in force, too. 89% reporting, and the bootlicker has taken the lead by 1.5pnts. The shithead is probably going to keep his seat, goddamnit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users