1267 replies to this topic

#91 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

Wait, BYU kicks kids off of teams if they have sex? Oh man, that is rich. And my niece goes there. I feel for her, truly.

BYU is super strict Mormon land. Even SLC appears liberal once you drive down to Utah County. SLC is 50/50 in regards to Mo vs Non Mo. Provo is more like 90/10.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#92 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Wait, BYU kicks kids off of teams if they have sex? Oh man, that is rich. And my niece goes there. I feel for her, truly.

You can feel for her...but the boys at the school cannot.

Ba da bump.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#93 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

http://www.guardian....reats-evolution

An imam of an east London mosque has been subject to death threats and intimidation for expressing his views on evolution and women's right to refuse the veil.
Dr Usama Hasan, vice-chairman at Leyton mosque and a senior lecturer in engineering at Middlesex University, ceased delivering Friday prayers after 25 years of service when 50 Muslim protesters disrupted his lecture by handing out leaflets against him and shouting in the mosque for his execution.
Show me your dragon magic

#94 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." - Voltaire

#95 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Voltaire is great.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#96 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:04 AM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOqHHE4upY&feature=feedrec_grec_index]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOqHHE4upY&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/url]

#97 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

I love that video on the Bible, Zimbochick. I really don't know how so many people can take the Bible so literally! I just don't get it. We have some friends who just found religion in their 40s and they are driving us nuts, trying to get us to come to their church and be saved. They even have a faith healer who comes in every so often to their mega-church and our friends claim the faith healer can make my husband walk again. Ya, sure. Speaking of re-writing the Bible, you may or may not know this but suffrage Elizabeth Cady Stanton had a committee of several dozen scholars re-write the Bible resulting in a book titled The Woman's Bible. They recognized that the Bible was the source of all inequality toward women and felt the Bible was originally written and translated to suit men, which it was. Working on the Woman's Bible brought them a lot of scorn back in their time and helped to split the suffrage movement in two. I love those early feminist icons in the suffrage movement!

#98 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

I love that video on the Bible, Zimbochick. I really don't know how so many people can take the Bible so literally! I just don't get it. We have some friends who just found religion in their 40s and they are driving us nuts, trying to get us to come to their church and be saved. They even have a faith healer who comes in every so often to their mega-church and our friends claim the faith healer can make my husband walk again. Ya, sure.

I'd take them up on the faith healer thing. At best the dude can perform miracles. At worst, you have a fun story, a great moment of "told you so!" and the endless enjoyment of watching them jump through logical hoops to explain why it didn't work.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#99 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

Subway this morning, some bible lady gets on - walks up and down yelling about how much Jesus loves us and the fires of hell. At this point I always wonder to myself - if the message is so important, why send such terrible messengers?

#100 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a54iqEr1flQ[/url]

#101 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

I love that video on the Bible, Zimbochick. I really don't know how so many people can take the Bible so literally! I just don't get it. We have some friends who just found religion in their 40s and they are driving us nuts, trying to get us to come to their church and be saved. They even have a faith healer who comes in every so often to their mega-church and our friends claim the faith healer can make my husband walk again. Ya, sure.

I'd take them up on the faith healer thing. At best the dude can perform miracles. At worst, you have a fun story, a great moment of "told you so!" and the endless enjoyment of watching them jump through logical hoops to explain why it didn't work.

We thought about doing that just for the fun of it, but my husband has a very limited vocabulary and 'fuck', 'shit' and 'Jesus Chris' are the words that comes out the most often. He's got a big booming voice and when he's disgusted with something out comes the choice words. He is very anti-religion and a faith healer working with him would get an x-rated review of his so-called talents. All I can visualize with that scenario is a skit on Saturday Night Live. Posted Image

Cousin it: That Benny Hinn is something else, isn't he. Mass hypnotist or mini stun guns up his sleeves?

#102 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_CLIGJW6Ic[/url]

#103 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

We thought about doing that just for the fun of it, but my husband has a very limited vocabulary and 'fuck', 'shit' and 'Jesus Chris' are the words that comes out the most often. He's got a big booming voice and when he's disgusted with something out comes the choice words. He is very anti-religion and a faith healer working with him would get an x-rated review of his so-called talents. All I can visualize with that scenario is a skit on Saturday Night Live. Posted Image

Cousin it: That Benny Hinn is something else, isn't he. Mass hypnotist or mini stun guns up his sleeves?

Oh, but if you videotaped it, that would be the sweetest thing ever to watch.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#104 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

http://scienceblogs....family-hati.php

#105 TAP

TAP