#91 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Messi's goal seemed to catch the defense completely flat footed. It's as if they all thought "no way he shoots"...and then he did.

2nd and 3rd goals were partly defensive errors, but Barca is unbelievable at creating space and pulling players out of position that in some sense it's not really error just 'better'. One thing I always notice watching MUFC is how good they are defensively around the edge of the penalty area in cutting down angles and preventing the one-two or reverse pass - remember watching games against Arsenal and Chelsea where it looked like those teams were throwing pebbles at a castle when they attacked. Barca ripped them apart around the penalty area, especially in the second half, and that's not really because MU played badly at all, they were just inferior. Messi was great of course, but Xavi is equally important IMO - he might be the greatest ever at understanding and creating space with his passing, just a joy to watch.
Show me your dragon magic

#92 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

I thought we played OK. Just came up against a better team. There were mistakes in a couple of the goals, but it's not like we were making mistakes all night long. It just highlights how good Barca are. Take away the errors and we're still probably holding on for dear life at 1-1. We would've needed to be perfect just to stay afloat. It's only the third time I've ever seen us lose and thought there was nothing we could've done about it. Not matter how good we were last night, I don't think it would've been enough.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#93 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

So the media is claiming that Ashley Young and Jack Rodwell are the key to beating Barcelona :D More seriously Modric and Snjeider (though I know you said you didn't see him fitting). But it's not really about players is it, it's coming up with a way to counter Barca's tactics - look how much RM have spent specifically to beat Barca and still come up short. My strategy if I were MUFC - go for second place in the group, hope to meet Barca early in the knockouts, pack the midfield in Nou Camp for a 0-0 and hope for a rainy, miserable night in Manchester. Only half joking, that's kind of how Inter did it (not in Manchester obviously), and Chelsea almost did a few years back - even Arsenal arguably got closer than MUFC. Think all three of those teams get killed in a one-off final though. And thanks to FIFA for some entertainment now that there are no actual games left....

#94 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

I like how Blatter said that this whole thing may have damaged Fifa's reputation. What, there were people out there who DIDN'T know the organisation was massively corrupt?!
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#95 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Think it's safe to say that Giggs is unlikely to get a knighthood :D Even with Rooney's new hair to distract everyone. Do you think all this stuff will change Giggs' miond about playing next year?

#96 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well the knighthood's definitely out the window, but I think he'll play another year. Who'd want to go out under a cloud like this? It'll be mostly forgotten by Christmas.

#97 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

True - bet there will be some interesting new songs at LFC and MCFC next year though :D

#98 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

Interesting at Anfield. Not sure about City though - next to Arsenal and Chelsea, they've got the most embarassingly unoriginal support in the league. Barely have a single song that another club didn't have first.

#99 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

So, football returned today in the form of the Charity Shield. Not a game I've ever really cared about because it is just a friendly - and I was used to it being a poisoned chalice before the move to the new Wembley, going into it each year hoping we'll lose so it didn't jinx the season - but it's so good to see United back properly after the summer break. Entertaining match. We were by far the better team, and while you've got to take a friendly with a pinch of salt, it reinforced my opinion that City still have quite a way to go before they're true title contenders. Defensively they're strong, but they sorely lack creativity and a world class attacking threat. Aguero might be able to help them with that (he didn't play today), but I still think they're a couple of really quality midfielders (and a superior manager) short of what's needed to challenge the Big Three. As for us, I think we looked good. Much stronger in depth than last year. Ashley Young and Phil Jones both played really well out of our new recruits, and Wellbeck and Cleverley (in particular) looked great on return from loan. Nani, Rooney and Vidic also put in really solid shifts. De Gea should've done much better on their second goal, but a few nerves are to be expected on his UK 'debut' and he recovered well from it. Don't think we're crying out for Sneijder, based on what I saw today.

#100 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

I should add, our second goal was magnificent - well worth checking out TAP!

#101 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Well today's opening matches that I saw (Liverpool and Arsenal) were awful - should have scrapped the whole lot and just celebrated the cricket instead. And good grief, is there a bigger douche in football than Joey Barton?

#102 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

I saw a good portion of Fulham and Aston Villa...ZZZZZZZZZZZ....
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#103 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Watching a super dull Match of the Day at the moment. Larrson's goal against Liverpool was awesome - everything else has been boring as hell.

#104 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

MUFC looked sharp but De Gea is dodgy and the defence seems very injury prone. MCFC looked really boring for a while but Aguero looks like he will be giving nightmares to a lot of defenders - it was only Swansea but still....

#105 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

Caught the end of ManU's match yesterday. I only see what's on ESPN or FSN (don't get FoxSoccer), but every time I watch ManchesterU, they always seem to get a late-ish goal to get the 3 pts.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users