27 replies to this topic

#1 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Anyone else love the Pumpkins? My favorite albums are probably Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and Machina II: Friends and Enemies of Modern Music.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#2 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

What's the new album? I never picked it up. They were such a great sound when they came out (back in the day) but I really haven't been to interested in picking them back up. Dunno why.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#3 One Way Ticket

One Way Ticket

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

I thought Disarm was a cool tune when it was on the radio, but overall they never did much for me, I know they have alot of fans & alot of material, I was just listening to other things when they were big.
If you stay ready.....you never have to get ready!!!

#4 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

Anyone else love the Pumpkins?

My favorite albums are probably Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and Machina II: Friends and Enemies of Modern Music.

That would be "Zeitgast," I haven't heard it yet either.

Machina II was their last album before they originally broke up 9 years ago, released exclusively online.

You can download it here if your interested, production isn't incredible since it's ripped from the vinyl masters, but there's still some killer ideas on here:

http://www.metrochicago.com/pumpkins/
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#5 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

I liked them live or live on TV etc... I never bought a Cd by them though. The bald mellon was into producing for awhile No?
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#6 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

I'm not sure to be honest.

He had another band going awhile ago fairly well known for this song:

Other than that, I know he's released a book or two of poetry.

#7 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

He sorta helped out with some hole songs and a little on some Marilyn manson stuff. He also put out a pretty good solo album.

#8 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

Disarm and the double Mellon collie... all worked for me...not a huge fan but did enjoy the Pumpkins

#9 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

Anyone else love the Pumpkins?

My favorite albums are probably Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and Machina II: Friends and Enemies of Modern Music.

That would be "Zeitgast," I haven't heard it yet either.

Zeitgeist is a decent album. Someone turned me on, but my box crashed and I lost it, so I haven't heard it in a while.

#10 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

He sorta helped out with some hole songs and a little on some Marilyn manson stuff. He also put out a pretty good solo album.

Haha, I completely forgot Billy and Courtney Love were an item.

#11 disease51883

disease51883

Members

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

They're a really good band. The whole "singles over albums" idea is pretty stupid though.
Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

#12 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

That sounds pretty straight forward, but I don't remember hearing anything about it. What was the deal with that again?

#13 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

That sounds pretty straight forward, but I don't remember hearing anything about it. What was the deal with that again?

The no more albums, only singles thing? This is all that's really been said:

"The listening patterns have changed, so why are we killing ourselves to do albums, to create balance, and do the arty track to set up the single? It's done."

- Billy Corgan

http://leisureblogs....-corgan-di.html

By the way, check out this tune dude:

Produced by Rick Rubin, it's a travesty it was never released as a single.

#14 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

Well that makes sense considering the download climate we exist in these days... Off to listen/watch....

#15 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

Haha, sorry, not much to watch although I'm sure there's some live performances on there somewhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users