#16 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

And I assume you won't be isolating yourself in a neighbor hood only for "English-Americans" (is there even such a thing Posted Image) .

No, there's one other Brit in my building but I don't know him other than to say hi. Our zip code is supposed to be one of the most diverse (in the sense of most nationalities) in the US, it's certainly a mix you wouldn't find many places in the world outside NYC - maybe London and a few other big cities.
There's supposed to be over 100,000 of us in New York City, but I don't know of a Little England :) Think a lot of Brits live in Manhattan if they come here, not so much in Brooklyn. Heard there are Brit communities/enclaves in Southern Cal, but only spent two days there in 1989 so not much to go on.
Show me your dragon magic

#17 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yoiu know, I've heard people who are against diversity & multiculturalism say that mexicans come to this country & demand special treatment but I've never actually witnessed it. Has anyone witnessed a mexican DEMANDING that we speak spanish or that we put up spanish signs or that we teach our school classes in spanish? I'm seriously curious because for all of the hand flapping about it, I've never actually heard of one incident where this actually took place. I'll retract that, perhaps there have been a few incidents because that can happen w/any group where a few make the rest look bad. But as far as this whole rise up of the mexicans against americans thing is going, I don't see any evidence of that.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#18 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Yoiu know, I've heard people who are against diversity & multiculturalism say that mexicans come to this country & demand special treatment but I've never actually witnessed it. Has anyone witnessed a mexican DEMANDING that we speak spanish or that we put up spanish signs or that we teach our school classes in spanish? I'm seriously curious because for all of the hand flapping about it, I've never actually heard of one incident where this actually took place. I'll retract that, perhaps there have been a few incidents because that can happen w/any group where a few make the rest look bad. But as far as this whole rise up of the mexicans against americans thing is going, I don't see any evidence of that.

I agree with you. Most of the Mexicans we get up here in MI are very submissive, humble types who defer to the whites around them. We get a lot of migrant workers in the fall and year around in the building trades, even in nursing homes. (I joke to my husband that I need to learn to speak Spanish so I'll be able to one day talk to my caregivers when I get shipped off to the "stock yard" leading to death.) What gets me are the people who automatically think every Mexican they see is illegal! Maybe it's a border state thing, to think like that but you sure see a lot of that attitude on message boards.

#19 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

I agree with you. Most of the Mexicans we get up here in MI are very submissive, humble types who defer to the whites around them. We get a lot of migrant workers in the fall and year around in the building trades, even in nursing homes. (I joke to my husband that I need to learn to speak Spanish so I'll be able to one day talk to my caregivers someday when I get shipped off to the "stock yard" leading to death.) What gets me are the people who automatically think every Mexican they see is illegal! Maybe it's a border state thing, to think like that but you sure see a lot of that attitude on message boards.

I actually would like to learn spanish because quite frankly, it would make it easier on me in certain instances. Besides, learning a different language broadens your horizons I believe & also can give you an edge in terms of jobs. We've got a certain neighborhood here that is mostly hispanic & I don't see what the problem is, it's not like they regard us w/hostility if we come in there. So some of them don't speak english, that doesn't bother me all that much. There's also a pocket of russians & italians in our city too. Same thing. I enjoy knowing there are different neighborhoods that have different people living there that speak a different language, different restaurants, etc. What about all those white people that bubble themselves & cut themselves off from others in their white gated communities? I don't see them making an effort to blend w/the masses.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#20 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

I think white people should invent their own language, dominate the world, and force others to know it if they want to do business with us. We'll call it...English.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#21 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

So I am curious. If you are against multiculturism, then what exactly is the alternative? Limiting immigration to a homogenous group? Limiting immigration to non-Muslims? Preventing immigration altogether? It's all well and good to say nay, but what does that actually mean.

None of those identifiers have anything directly to do with individuals immigrating to America or any other western nation for that matter. A good start would be mandating all government services conduct all matters in english only. Attach all federal funding to schools with a stipulation that all core classroom instruction be conducted in English. That would be a good start. And yes, immigration should be limited as it already is. But it should be given a step further, to limit people with no skill or education from entering the country unless specifically for student visas and tourism. We have a national instant background check system for gun purchases. Would it be much more difficult to copy over SSNs from the SS dept to create a list of eligible employees? Stiff penalties for employers and employees who break the law in this regard. Providing your SSN and date of birth are all required when accepting employment, and a W2 is submitted each year. It wouldn't be a perfect fix, but it would be rather cheap to implement and safe guard could be implemented that any possible false reports incur a 60 day grace period where the employee can work with his employer until his SSN card and other required documents are sent to be added to the system to be evaluated.

Compared to the billions lost each year in education, social services and medial service to people not legally deserving, it seems like a good start to me. Securing the boarder and securing the public welfare are both outlined requirements of the federal government.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#22 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

Random thought, but my home state of Indiana is on the path toward creating it's own Arizona style, racial profiling law to weed out the illegals. Needless to say, I'll try to find time in my busy schedule to challenge our governor's citizenship, since "Mitch" doesn't strike me as a name that any red blooded American male would have. Sounds French.
Sister burn the temple

#23 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Pass the pommes frites...Mitch.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#24 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

His code name in the underground was Chocolate Mousse.
Sister burn the temple

#25 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

was it from arby;s

#26 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

His code name in the underground was Chocolate Mousse.

Funny, I seem to be getting Déjà Vu all of a sudden...

#27 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

was it from arby;s

Nice tie in, but stfu please. Really though...nice tie in.

#28 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

i'll just go hind behind my rock with a few jews and Mexicans.

#29 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

So I am curious. If you are against multiculturism, then what exactly is the alternative? Limiting immigration to a homogenous group? Limiting immigration to non-Muslims? Preventing immigration altogether? It's all well and good to say nay, but what does that actually mean.

None of those identifiers have anything directly to do with individuals immigrating to America or any other western nation for that matter. A good start would be mandating all government services conduct all matters in english only. Attach all federal funding to schools with a stipulation that all core classroom instruction be conducted in English. That would be a good start. And yes, immigration should be limited as it already is. But it should be given a step further, to limit people with no skill or education from entering the country unless specifically for student visas and tourism. We have a national instant background check system for gun purchases. Would it be much more difficult to copy over SSNs from the SS dept to create a list of eligible employees? Stiff penalties for employers and employees who break the law in this regard. Providing your SSN and date of birth are all required when accepting employment, and a W2 is submitted each year. It wouldn't be a perfect fix, but it would be rather cheap to implement and safe guard could be implemented that any possible false reports incur a 60 day grace period where the employee can work with his employer until his SSN card and other required documents are sent to be added to the system to be evaluated.

Compared to the billions lost each year in education, social services and medial service to people not legally deserving, it seems like a good start to me. Securing the boarder and securing the public welfare are both outlined requirements of the federal government.

Since the beginning of our nation we've always had an immigrant population in this country and they have always been treated poorly by the rest of us. But I've never seen so much resentment as I see now. If we want them to learn our laws I see no harm in having them printed in other languages. (It takes a long time to learn a new one and it's just an aid to help in the meantime.) Even back in the 60s when I went to college, they had lots of night classes to learn how to speak English. I don't mind my tax dollars paying for that. I wish they'd been available when my grandparents immigrated here. But core subjects being taught in other languages so a kid could virtually go through school without learning English? It that really happening in the U.S.A.?

Employers are already required to check SSN numbers but the problem is that our country's SSN numbers are storied in 3 different data banks and they are so old school (not all computerized) that instant checks aren't available. It can take as long as 3 weeks and by then a lot of the illegals using a fake or stolen SSN are long gone from the temporary work they were hired for---not to mention that too many employers of immigrants really don't care as long as they get cheap labor. Some people say just let them wait 3 weeks for the SSN to be checked but with temporary farm and food processing work, for example, that can't wait weeks when crops need picking and processing. The answer to this problem is the National ID card so we can get all SSN numbers online for instant check of fake, stolen or lost cards, etc. (Think of the data processing jobs that would create for a few years.) But whenever the National ID card is brought up the people who complain about illegals the most seem to fight having the National ID cards. Illegals come to this country for jobs. We need to make it harder to use fake and stolen SSN and easier to get temporary worker visas for the types of jobs they are seeking. The jobs we citizens won't do (farm and food processing) and those jobs where we don't have enough qualified people to fill the jobs (nursing and some fields of engineering at the moment, but this change with the decades). We can also change the laws to make temporary migrant workers here on work visas be covered by the same workplace safety and protection laws that cover legal citizens. What that will do is drive up the amount of money the employers would have to pay the migrant workers and therefore make those jobs more desirable to U.S. citizens. But this is being fought tooth and nail by the big factory farms. The answer to controlling illegal immigration isn't about building walls at our borders. It's about controlling access to jobs, jobs, jobs.

Our country is great because of our history of immigrants coming here to work hard to better themselves. Without those hungry people on the lower steps on the ladder the rest of us would just stagnant where we're at. They help push us all upward and bring a richness to our society by expanding our choices of cultural customs, music and foods.

#30 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

This country is great because immigrants legally came here when they were wanted and after a generation, were integrated into part of America. No one that I know of is advocating closing the boarder. Just securing it so that people with no interest of integrating or self identifying as an American. And to answer your first question, numerous schools have had to employee special translators and assistants to work with students unable to speak english. That's taxpayer dollars going more than likely to the child of a non tax paying illegal resident. As proficiency in English is a requirement to gain citizenship, I find it extremely rare or unlikely that a child can enter the school system with no knowledge of english. Driving exams shouldn't be offered in multiple languages, specifically when driving is not a right. There's nothing wrong with having laws made available in different languages. But I do mind my tax dollars going to pay for someone else's schooling in basic english outside of the established elementary school system. Cause odds are if you were unable to study english in your host nation or possess the fortitude to learn it before coming here seeking employment, you don't possess a skill the american economy is interested in at large. I seriously doubt there are an abundance of engineers and doctors attending night school to learn english. Cheap labor and government subsidies are what cause the price of produce to be completely off from what it's true value is. While one could argue for subsization of produce, illegal cheap labor is certainly not something the government should condone. A national ID card is not something needed to solve this issue. SSNs or their Taxpayer ID equivalent are issued to all people who are born in America or whom seek legal employment. Updating our SS system to the 21st century by digitizing it should be something handled by the SS Admin regardless of any proposed tie in to employment verification. It just makes sense and streamlines the process. When I was in high school and I needed a work permit, I simply filled out a form and recived one the same day. I see no reason why someone who is legally here wouldn't have readily on their person the paperwork needed to obtain a similar document. I don't care that certain employers condone illegal hiring practices. They and their employess should both receive stiff fines to include a possible loss of their business license if repeated infractions occur. America is the only country in the world with the so called illegal immigration problem we possess. No other first world country bestows citiizenship to anyone born on their soil. In fact, most nations to include mexico, have very stiff penalties for illegal immigration and much more difficult process to receive citizenship. That is why I laugh when they bitch about how their citizens are treated in America. An American would be thrown in jail in Mexico, not simply ignored or worst case be taken back to the American boarder. Immigration should be something viewed positiively when it's done in the legal way. But it should never be considered a "right" nor conducted in a manner that is not beneficial to society at large.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users