38 replies to this topic

#1 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

A few months ago I put together a list of dishes and food items that at some point in my life, I really want to try. Anybody here got any foods they really want to taste? Or anything you've had that was awesome, that you'd recommend?
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#2 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

The antidote?
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

#3 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Deep fried mars bar
Show me your dragon magic

#4 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Deep fried mars bar

Be cautious; these are so rich it made me sick Posted Image
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#5 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

Every flavor of ice cream on the face of the earth---well, except the one made from breast milk from lactating women.

#6 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Haggis - sounds terrible when described but can be really good if made well.
Show me your dragon magic

#7 MrsBrisby

MrsBrisby

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

I've always wanted to try escargot, but haven't been brave enough.

#8 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

I love escargot. There is nothing strange about it at all (in regards to taste), just do it!
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#9 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

Haggis - sounds terrible when described but can be really good if made well.

My husbands favorite food is curried trotters and tripe! Blech! He has to wait for his mother to make it for him, I will not.

I love mushrooms, and would love to try white and black truffles some day.

#10 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

If you have not had them, french fries with truffle oil. I ate so much in Miami with my duck I thought I was going to yack on the way home. I hadn't been that full since I was a little kid. I couldn't stop eating those damn things, they were amazing.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#11 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

If you have not had them, french fries with truffle oil. I ate so much in Miami with my duck I thought I was going to yack on the way home. I hadn't been that full since I was a little kid. I couldn't stop eating those damn things, they were amazing.

I'll add it to my list, thanks. And I'll try not to yack. Posted Image

#12 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:57 PM

I've never had Baked Alaska, but always hear that it's so good. And I'd love to eat a full meal of every "ethnic" food at least once - Korean, Thai, Greek, whatever.

#13 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

Chris..this is a really great thread!! and I sit here and ponder..and think..and dream...I have tried/made/tasted so many weird and wonderful things in my life, especially in the 12 yrs I was a chef....all i can say is I want to keep experiencing....nothing really stands out atm..although J, I have to admit, the thought of lightly seasoned,crisp fries with truffle oil almost made me salivate

#14 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

Haggis is great. Had my first taste on Burns Night, just a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'd describe it as a really rich - almost pate-esque - sausage, with a huge crack of black pepper thrown in. With definitely be cooking it next year with the traditional neeps and tatties.

Snails are good too. They don't really taste of anything themselves, they just absorb the flavour of what you cook them with, and the texture's fine. I'm thinking about harvesting some from my garden this year. In one of Gordon Ramsay's shows he was saying how it's crazy that people spend a fortune importing them from France, when the ones in your yard will be just as good. They're pretty easy to prepare I think.

Pigs trotters are on my list, in the form of Pierre Koffmann's pig's trotter stuffed with sweetbreads and morels. Don't think I can fit in a visit to his restaurant on my honeymoon, but planning to go down to London next year to give it a go.

Posted Image
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#15 BlowUpYourVideo

BlowUpYourVideo

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, haggis is great. I haven't eaten it much (no, it's not one of our five a day or something over here...) but I do enjoy it when I have it. Some people get really put off by what's in it, but it doesn't really bother me TBH.

I'm quite a picky eater actually, there's lots of things I don't really care for; mushrooms, onions, nuts, most kinds of fruit..... Posted Image I guess this means I'm not really a big 'food expert'. Posted Image
"If you've got a knife on your person and you're not in a kitchen, you're going to jail. You're not going round your mate's house to slice a fucking pear are you?" - Noel Gallagher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users