• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

all the pie ...

#17 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

Haggis - sounds terrible when described but can be really good if made well.

My husbands favorite food is curried trotters and tripe! Blech! He has to wait for his mother to make it for him, I will not.

Had both in Spain, never again.
Show me your dragon magic

#18 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

Haggis - sounds terrible when described but can be really good if made well.

My husbands favorite food is curried trotters and tripe! Blech! He has to wait for his mother to make it for him, I will not.

Had both in Spain, never again.

It just smells so bad, especially the trotters.

#19 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

I have eaten quite a lot of different things. Giraffe, warthog, shark, snake. My favorite exotic meat is ostrich, it is a very lean red meat. The most surprising thing I have eaten and like was mopane worms (caterpillar) either served dried, or fried, and then sauteed in a tomato and onion sauce. Another is Kapenta, a small sardine that is traditionally dried in the sun before being eaten. It's pretty good. I'm not nearly as adventurous as my husband though, he would be good one of of those yuk tv shows. He will seriously eat anything (except for cooked apples!)

#20 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

gator.

#21 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

I have eaten quite a lot of different things. Giraffe, warthog, shark, snake. My favorite exotic meat is ostrich, it is a very lean red meat. The most surprising thing I have eaten and like was mopane worms (caterpillar) either served dried, or fried, and then sauteed in a tomato and onion sauce. Another is Kapenta, a small sardine that is traditionally dried in the sun before being eaten. It's pretty good. I'm not nearly as adventurous as my husband though, he would be good one of of those yuk tv shows. He will seriously eat anything (except for cooked apples!)

Your husband will eat anything except cooked apples.....that is so funny. For April Fool's Day you should make him a mock apple pie, no apples in it at all but you'd swear otherwise to taste it.

http://members.cox.n...l/mocaplpi.html (recipe at the bottom)

#22 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Chris..this is a really great thread!! and I sit here and ponder..and think..and dream...I have tried/made/tasted so many weird and wonderful things in my life, especially in the 12 yrs I was a chef....all i can say is I want to keep experiencing....nothing really stands out atm..although J, I have to admit, the thought of lightly seasoned,crisp fries with truffle oil almost made me salivate

We also had them in Sarasota at this cool little restaurant downtown a few months ago. Usually places that serve fusion cuisine have them as a side dish. Truffle oil with asiago cheese sprinkled on top....OMG. Another are fries cook in the duck confit, supposed to be the bomb. Posted Image
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#23 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Ostrich is good, so is buffalo.

I've had gator years ago and it was good. Fried gator tail...
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#24 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

Quite interested to give fries with truffle oil a try. Have a nice bottle of the stuff that I generally only break out for scrambled egg and mushrooms, so would be fun to try something different with it. I thought ostrich was OK, but spent the whole time wishing I was eating beef instead. Have had wild boar, but outside of burgers, I've always found it to be slighlty disappointing. Added one new thing to my list today - elvers (baby eels).
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#25 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

There is a Vietnamese place here that makes a good bac pho made with tripe. Recently, while out with my brother, we split a side of calf fries. It was the first time that I had eaten testicles, but they are actually quite good.

#26 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

I thought ostrich was OK, but spent the whole time wishing I was eating beef instead. Have had wild boar, but outside of burgers, I've always found it to be slighlty disappointing.

Added one new thing to my list today - elvers (baby eels).

Ostrich is considered a healthy red meat, way healthier than beef.

As for eels, I make it a general rule to never eat anything that has the same consistency as snot! Posted Image

#27 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

Calf fries is one thing I have never had a desire to try.

#28 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

Heard lots of great things about pho, but it's always followed with "don't bother trying any outside of Vietnam", and I can't imagine ever going there really.

Zimbochick - I've got a general rule to never eat anything that is healthy if there's a better tasting unhealthy alternative Posted Image
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#29 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Zimbochick - I've got a general rule to never eat anything that is healthy if there's a better tasting unhealthy alternative Posted Image

So true. I recently tasted "healthy" donuts, and they were just wrong.

#30 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

I don't think there is anything out there I want to try that I haven't but I sure would like dishes cooked for me from some of my favorite places. from lobster to a great strawberry shortcake!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users