#1 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

This morning I became a USC, and immediately registered as a Democrat - for some reason Communist Party wasn't one of the choices, oh well. The oath ceremony was an odd experience quite awesome and moving in small parts, but mainly very inefficient and almost farcical (which is possibly a metaphor). Spent maybe a good hour calling people up to verify their info and sign their certificates - at the end of this maybe 10 people (including the person sat next to me) had managed to go up, have their info checked and NOT sign their certificate. Bizarre...
The presiding judge was great (a Bush appointee no less) seemed genuinely happy to be there, and conveyed the importance of it. She told us her life story (it's true I checked!). Her grandfather came to the USA from Czechoslovakia in 30s, stayed for a few years and then returned to his family. He and his wife had nine kids, they all died in concentration camps except for the youngest child who escaped, and was/is the judge's 94 year old mom - this is the judge:
http://en.wikipedia...._Renee_Mauskopf
3 /12 hours after arriving *promptly* as requested I was set free as an American. Went directly to USPS to apply for passport - an hour later I'd decided I might register for the Tea Party instead.
Show me your dragon magic

#2 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Congrats on your successful effort to infiltrate and retake the colonies. But we're on to you!
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#3 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Now this year's winner of American Idol will be your Idol too! Congrats. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#4 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Incidentally by USC I mean United States Citizen, I didn't spontaneously become a satellite campus of the University of Southern California.

#5 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

Where is the video of you weeping?
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#6 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

Congrats!

My ex-mother in law came here, from Britain, in the 50s. I once ask her why she never applied for citizenship, and she was offended by the question... got all huffy and explained the benefits of being British. Posted Image

#7 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

Good for you and congratulations
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#8 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Can you really register as a communist? I know you were joking, but isn't that a question on the citizenship form?
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#9 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Congrats!

My ex-mother in law came here, from Britain, in the 50s. I once ask her why she never applied for citizenship, and she was offended by the question... got all huffy and explained the benefits of being British. Posted Image

Weird, you don't have to give up being British (in spirit or passport) to be a US citizen - neither have laws against dual citizenship. I'll always be from there, but this will most likely be my home for the rest of my life. That isn't a conflict.

#10 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Can you really register as a communist? I know you were joking, but isn't that a question on the citizenship form?

There's a question about whether you ever joined the communist party on the citizenship application, not sure what happens if you say yes. At the ceremony you have to answer 8 questions about what you've done since interview - traveled, divorced/married, committed a crime, taken drugs, become a habitual drunkard or my favourite - practiced polygamy, etc etc as well as the communist party question.
They gave us a (separate) voter registration at the ceremony - we could register as Dem, GOP, Green, Independence and I think one other, or none from what I recall. Was definitely one of the positives that they pushed voting as a responsibility as well as a right. You couldn't register as communist.

#11 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Good for you and congratulations

Thanks!

#12 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

Where is the video of you weeping?

Douchetube

#13 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

haha...douche.

#14 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

Congrats!

Weird, you don't have to give up being British (in spirit or passport) to be a US citizen - neither have laws against dual citizenship. I'll always be from there, but this will most likely be my home for the rest of my life. That isn't a conflict.

I can't remember the reasons???

Curiously, IIRC, natural born American citizens can't hold dual citizenship??? I don't know where I got that from, but it seems that I read somewhere long ago.

#15 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

Flagg needs a new avatar, he's got nuthin' right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users