#16 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

Curiously, IIRC, natural born American citizens can't hold dual citizenship??? I don't know where I got that from, but it seems that I read somewhere long ago.

No such law, never has been. It's certainly not encouraged or advertised but there's nothing in US law than prevents dual citizenship - it would be very hard to enforce anyway, though there are laws/rules that makes your 'other' citizenship basically meaningless (travel/tax etc) unless you choose to go back and live there.
Show me your dragon magic

#17 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

Curiously, IIRC, natural born American citizens can't hold dual citizenship??? I don't know where I got that from, but it seems that I read somewhere long ago.

No such law, never has been. It's certainly not encouraged or advertised but there's nothing in US law than prevents dual citizenship - it would be very hard to enforce anyway, though there are laws/rules that makes your 'other' citizenship basically meaningless (travel/tax etc) unless you choose to go back and live there.

It has been years, and I might be confusing that with something else, and I could be wrong on that. But many years ago, I nearly joined a foreign army. Maybe I would've lost my citizenship if I had enlisted???

#18 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

Seems like the Supreme Court ruled on foreign military service in 1967 - essentially you don't lose citizenship unless the other country is at war with the US is how I read this.....
http://travel.state....enship_780.html

#19 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:00 AM

congrats tap. very cool Posted Image

#20 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

This morning I became a USC, and immediately registered as a Democrat - for some reason Communist Party wasn't one of the choices, oh well. The oath ceremony was an odd experience quite awesome and moving in small parts, but mainly very inefficient and almost farcical (which is possibly a metaphor). Spent maybe a good hour calling people up to verify their info and sign their certificates - at the end of this maybe 10 people (including the person sat next to me) had managed to go up, have their info checked and NOT sign their certificate. Bizarre...
The presiding judge was great (a Bush appointee no less) seemed genuinely happy to be there, and conveyed the importance of it. She told us her life story (it's true I checked!). Her grandfather came to the USA from Czechoslovakia in 30s, stayed for a few years and then returned to his family. He and his wife had nine kids, they all died in concentration camps except for the youngest child who escaped, and was/is the judge's 94 year old mom - this is the judge:
http://en.wikipedia...._Renee_Mauskopf
3 /12 hours after arriving *promptly* as requested I was set free as an American. Went directly to USPS to apply for passport - an hour later I'd decided I might register for the Tea Party instead.

Welcome to the jungle.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#21 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

Congrats Tap!!!

#22 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

Can you really register as a communist? I know you were joking, but isn't that a question on the citizenship form?

My guess would be "no". Party registration serves no function except to determine party primary voting in states with closed primaries. Because only the GOP and Dems are big enough to have statewide primary elections, you wouldn't have to register for anything else. Other parties just have nominating conventions, etc.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#23 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

This morning I became a USC, and immediately registered as a Democrat - for some reason Communist Party wasn't one of the choices, oh well. The oath ceremony was an odd experience quite awesome and moving in small parts, but mainly very inefficient and almost farcical (which is possibly a metaphor). Spent maybe a good hour calling people up to verify their info and sign their certificates - at the end of this maybe 10 people (including the person sat next to me) had managed to go up, have their info checked and NOT sign their certificate. Bizarre...
The presiding judge was great (a Bush appointee no less) seemed genuinely happy to be there, and conveyed the importance of it. She told us her life story (it's true I checked!). Her grandfather came to the USA from Czechoslovakia in 30s, stayed for a few years and then returned to his family. He and his wife had nine kids, they all died in concentration camps except for the youngest child who escaped, and was/is the judge's 94 year old mom - this is the judge:
3 /12 hours after arriving *promptly* as requested I was set free as an American. Went directly to USPS to apply for passport - an hour later I'd decided I might register for the Tea Party instead.

Welcome to the jungle.

lol, nicely played M'dear.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#24 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

So is there any celebration planned for this big event or what?

#25 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:43 PM

Welcome to the jungle.

lol, nicely played M'dear.

Sniff....I didn't even get some karma for that one.

#26 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

There you go, you lil crybaby.

#27 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

There you go, you lil crybaby.

Thanks! As long as you appease me, I'll be happy. Posted Image

#28 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Set up a TV in our bedroom last night - first time ever (we usually watch movies on computer monitor). The timing was coincidental, but it did make me feel more American :D also M "I feel like I've lost part of you but I'll always think of you as English" which is quite profound for a 7 year old.

#29 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Can you really register as a communist? I know you were joking, but isn't that a question on the citizenship form?

My guess would be "no". Party registration serves no function except to determine party primary voting in states with closed primaries. Because only the GOP and Dems are big enough to have statewide primary elections, you wouldn't have to register for anything else. Other parties just have nominating conventions, etc.

Like I said there were other options besides Dem and GOP - Green for sure, Independence too. I assume I'm now allowed to join the communist party, but it's still a barrier to being naturalized. (I have no intention of joining, just hypothetically)

#30 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Like I said there were other options besides Dem and GOP - Green for sure, Independence too. I assume I'm now allowed to join the communist party, but it's still a barrier to being naturalized. (I have no intention of joining, just hypothetically)

I'm fairly certain that Marx would find a communist party as yet another way that capitalist societies try to appease the proletariat...never mind the man behind hte curtain (i.e. the two party system) that makes it impossible for them to effectively compete.

Not that communism and Marxism are the same, the latter being one philosophy of how the former might be achieved.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users