Photo

The X Files (Formerly The #twitter Thread)

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#151 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

Facebook data mining was one of my many issues with that platform. From what I've been reading, Google doesn't sound much better, and I'm all intertwined with them. 

In regards to Twitter, I don't see myself using it much anymore. 

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#152 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Twitter Can Only Lose When It Polices Abuse

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#153 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

Unless someone is condoning violence or making actual threats, let's chalk it up to free speech and tell people that if they dont like it they can respond in kind. 

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#154 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

There are BLOCK and MUTE buttons for a reason people! Bunch of "safe-space" cry babies.

#155 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

There are BLOCK and MUTE buttons for a reason people! Bunch of "safe-space" cry babies.

Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#156 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

LOL at fat Steven Seagal. 

#157 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:09 AM

In regards to Twitter, I don't see myself using it much anymore. 

I just started running the Evo Twitter page again today. I saw The GNR Syndicate. :P

You don't have one for this site?

https://twitter.com/GNRevolution

I abandoned it when leaving the forums a few years ago. I wish I hadn't. We have a code that automatically tweets the new threads in our GNR sections but other than that....nada. UMG, a few media outlets, and a couple celebs followed our page back when I actually used it. We also had more followers than we do now. Many probably figured it was a bot posting links(they were half right) and unfollowed it.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#158 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:18 AM

Some funny shit: 

@RealDonalDrumpf

#159 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

That might be my favorite twitter page ever!!

#160 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

The Latest Front In Twitter’s War On Harassment: Weird Twitter

Twitter begins to whitewash its free-speech-uber-alles past.

#161 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

We already knew social media has been killing off forums over the years. After running my site's Twitter page again lately, I can safely say that forums are never going to truly recover. Will some still hang around? Sure but the young generation wont be joining them and most who used to be on forums don't even bother anymore.

Twitter feeds are never ending. Before you even finish reading them, more are piling up. Go check your notifications, more shit has dropped into your feed. repeat cycle for infinity. Then factor in facebook, Instagram,etc.....its a new age.

Eight days ago on my site, I created a poll asking if fans wanted Izzy back.

Three hours ago I created that same poll  on twitter and it already has more votes than the forum poll.

I can see why many forums, especially official forums for bands are closing down and moving to Facebook. Social media dominates everything. News actually hits social media before it hits forums. Its crazy. Forums are trying to adapt to this and evolve along with it but its going to be tough.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#162 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:44 AM

We already knew social media has been killing off forums over the years. After running my site's Twitter page again lately, I can safely say that forums are never going to truly recover. Will some still hang around? Sure but the young generation wont be joining them and most who used to be on forums don't even bother anymore.

Twitter feeds are never ending. Before you even finish reading them, more are piling up. Go check your notifications, more shit has dropped into your feed. repeat cycle for infinity. Then factor in facebook, Instagram,etc.....its a new age.

Eight days ago on my site, I created a poll asking if fans wanted Izzy back.

Three hours ago I created that same poll  on twitter and it already has more votes than the forum poll.

I can see why many forums, especially official forums for bands are closing down and moving to Facebook. Social media dominates everything. News actually hits social media before it hits forums. Its crazy. Forums are trying to adapt to this and evolve along with it but its going to be tough.

Social media also caters to YOU specifically. People like your pictures or posts, they respond to you, they tag you. Easy to be drawn to that, rather than a big forum, where just one of your posts may get buried quickly. Also if you're on FB or Twitter etc, you only have to register once. I can simply like a page, or follow you, and now I'm part of that feed. If I want to participate in another conversation 10 years ago, I had to register on that particular forum, wait for confirmation etc. 

I do consider Reddit a forum though (although I'm sure people would disagree with me.) In fact it reminds me of old forum threads from 15 years ago. I hated the format at first, but am used to it now and it doesn't bother me anymore. Reddit is crazy big, and super busy. Although I wouldn't consider it a typical forum format either. But for sure, unless you frequent the same sub-Reddit and have a big personality, you'd also be swallowed up by the sheer volume of posts. I've read contributors on Reddit say they preferred that to Facebook for that reason though. They like to remain anonymous, and prefer the forum format. 

I prefer forums, and will stick with them. There are a couple of people I knew on forums prior, who I thought of as narcissists in general. Once they got on FB it seemed like a match made in heaven. Non-stop selfies, endless updates of the gym, relationships (oh...it's complicated!!) food, family...seemingly every hour on the hour. No way you'll ever see them on the forums again, way too much anonymity and not enough attention. 

#163 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

Social Media... The leading news source of the me generation!

#164 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

I prefer forums, and will stick with them.

Same here. It just blows my mind how the world is into social media 24/7. You make great points on how it caters to all your needs. I need to check out reddit more often. You're right...it also reminds me of those forum formats from around 2001-02.

Twitter is so much more different than it was back when I used it. Its like they merged various features of other social media sites into it. You gotta 'like' something, then retweet it, then retweet the retweet, 'like' it again, retweet the...crazy shit. Hashtags is what really blows me away....the universe now revolves around hashtags. I'm still trying to figure it all out and see if I can use it somehow to benefit my actual site.

Social media is very superficial though. I mean..... this week, three celebs I'm a huge fan of....Juliet Huddy....Monica Potter...Nastia Liukin either 'liked' or thanked me for a comment. Pretty cool and if I was much younger, that acknowledgment would blow my mind. Did it really mean anything? No. They just go on to the next tweet and so do I.

I still loathe Facebook. Always will.

-Adolf Hitler

#165 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Love Twitter. Just follow people or things who interest you. Love the take on politics on it (or at least of those I follow.)

Tolerate Facebook. Lots of friends are on it. Use it to publicize my band. Politics on it are stupid. Most things on it are stupid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users