• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Dear ,Peen State. Stop being the cult of Joe, you fuck heads!

#2 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

I've got a facebook friend who says they're using Joe as a scapegoat. This "friend" has been saying some pretty offensive things about other topics, such as standing by Cain, etc., as well so he appears to be in some sort of "I support all men who are accused of sexually inappropriate behavior" phase.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#3 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

I've got a facebook friend who says they're using Joe as a scapegoat. This "friend" has been saying some pretty offensive things about other topics, such as standing by Cain, etc., as well so he appears to be in some sort of "I support all men who are accused of sexually inappropriate behavior" phase.

I've been reading some of the threads at CD about Penn State. It's amazing how football fans are reacting to this cover up finally coming to light. Talk about having your head in the sand about the cult of football.

#4 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm a huge football fan. I can't understand where peoples heads are with this.

#5 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

I haven't been following this Penn State thing too closely, so I'm catching up as it unfolds. My understanding is that Joe isn't (of course) the molester, nor is he one of those accused of perjury...right? I don't know if Pennsylvania has the same sort of laws that many states do, requiring reporting of child abuse. I know that my wife, in her role as a teacher, has had to make such reports. I'm also not surprised that college staff would be less familiar with such requirements...after all, the "kids" that are the students are actually adults. It seems to me that everyone in this story passed the issue upward. The grad student to JoePa, Joe to people in university administration, etc. I don't know WHO actually told police. But it's not surprising that people who don't have firsthand knowledge of a crime don't report it. In this I"m assuming Joe didn't have firsthand knowledge (a "confession" from the molester or an encounter with the child in question that might have given him a greater reason to call police than a grad student making an accusation). If there was such knowledge it's unforgivable. Without it, people start to consider the ramifications of falsely implicating someone as a child molester and, lacking knowledge of law, make what turns out to be a tragic mistake. I don't see this as a coverup, at least so far as Joe's role and what he did. If the "cult of football" is to blame here, it wouldn't have gone beyond the football staff. Instead, Paterno did what I think a lot of people would have done and what was done by those who reported it to him...passed it up the chain. If Pennsylvania has such laws requiring the reporting of such suspected incidents, which I hope they do, then it wasn't just a mistake but an illegal one. But I'd bet it's a mistake many people have and will continue to make simply because of a lack of awareness of the law and a worry about falsely calling someone a child abuser. Anyway, it's all a shame.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#6 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

Yahoo’s Pat Forde joined the show from Penn State to update us on the latest with Joe Paterno and more.

Dan asked what yesterday was like in State College. “Probably the strangest day I’ve ever seen on the job,” Forde said. “Paterno making a bargaining stance that I won’t step down until the end of the year. And that kind of getting smacked down.”

Forde said the disorganized way the school and Paterno are handling this says a lot about what’s going on. ”There’s just a massive vacuum of competence,” Forde said.

Forde talked about the future of the program. He thinks it’s an attractive job once the smoke clears. He noted there’s no NCAA sanction. “It’s the kind of job I would say if I was Urban Meyer would be very attractive,” Forde said.

To sum it up, Forde said there is no escape from how bad the story is. “It’s an incredibly sad chapter in American sports,” Forde said.

http://www.danpatric...-at-penn-state/

#7 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

http://espn.go.com/c...-sex-abuse-case

#8 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

The thing of it is there was more than one boy molested---up to 11 accusations---and the college knew about it as far back as 1995 when a mother sent the administration a letter and there was a police report that goes back a decade but nothing came of that.

#9 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Wait a minute, I just read that timeline link Tim posted. Why the HELL wasn't Sandusky arrested in 2002 after that grad assistant saw him having sex w/the kid in the shower? WTF?

#10 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

The fact that these students are protesting this is insane to me.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#11 Felina

Felina

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

...I'm also not surprised that college staff would be less familiar with such requirements...after all, the "kids" that are the students are actually adults. I don't see this as a coverup, at least so far as Joe's role and what he did....Instead, Paterno did what I think a lot of people would have done and what was done by those who reported it to him...passed it up the chain. If Pennsylvania has such laws requiring the reporting of such suspected incidents, which I hope they do, then it wasn't just a mistake but an illegal one. But I'd bet it's a mistake many people have and will continue to make simply because of a lack of awareness of the law and a worry about falsely calling someone a child abuser. .

Seriously? You have a much kinder view of people than I do. I've got a big problem with the coaching assistant who saw a rape occur and essentially did nothing. I don't believe that it's simply a 'mistake' and a lack of awareness of the law that prevents people from acting. Why didn't he stop the assault, why didn't he confront Sandusky immediately? His inaction - just like every other person who is even remotely connected with these crimes - stems more from self-interest and the potential cost to their own careers than it does from ignorance of the law.
"You will never have a pirate ship they cost millions moron."

#12 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

...I'm also not surprised that college staff would be less familiar with such requirements...after all, the "kids" that are the students are actually adults. I don't see this as a coverup, at least so far as Joe's role and what he did....Instead, Paterno did what I think a lot of people would have done and what was done by those who reported it to him...passed it up the chain. If Pennsylvania has such laws requiring the reporting of such suspected incidents, which I hope they do, then it wasn't just a mistake but an illegal one. But I'd bet it's a mistake many people have and will continue to make simply because of a lack of awareness of the law and a worry about falsely calling someone a child abuser. .

Seriously? You have a much kinder view of people than I do. I've got a big problem with the coaching assistant who saw a rape occur and essentially did nothing. I don't believe that it's simply a 'mistake' and a lack of awareness of the law that prevents people from acting. Why didn't he stop the assault, why didn't he confront Sandusky immediately? His inaction - just like every other person who is even remotely connected with these crimes - stems more from self-interest and the potential cost to their own careers than it does from ignorance of the law.

I'd say that the question of "worry about falsely calling someone a child abuser" highlights some of that same "potential cost to their own careers" that you mention.

And, yeah, the guy who SAW a rape and didn't tell police but instead went to almighty JoePa...that's messed up. And yet it's Paterno who got fired while that guy still has his job. So, we're either missing some very crucial details or Paterno is being scapegoated to some extent (or both).

But it seems as if this did make it to authorities, who then did nothing. That's the bigger concern for me, personally. Once it reached the law and you have an eye witness in addition to the boy who was assaulted, that should be plenty to move ahead at that time.
Sister burn the temple

#13 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

Can you imagine walking into a locker room & seeing a man having anal sex w/like an 11 year old?? Wouldn't you freak your shit out? I would. The cops would be THE FIRST place I would go IMMEDIATELY! And this assistant who saw that happen, he's going to now be coaching I believe, right guys? I just read something about it. I mean, how do you walk in on something like that & not immediately & instinctively beat the ever living shit out of that person, help the child put clothes on, get him to the hospital/police station, call his parents. I mean, who the fuck does nothing but contact the head coach? WTF is the head coach going to do? He's not a law enforcement official. Man, I'm getting angrier & angrier just thinking about that assistant doing nothing when he saw that. Now to mention the janitor who saw him giving a boy a blowjob. Jesus christ.

#14 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

I hadn't heard about the janitor...this just keeps getting worse and worse.
Sister burn the temple

#15 Fallsangel

Fallsangel

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

Scapegoat my a**! Paterno is considered THE God in parts of PA, not just A god. He had knowledge of one incident in 2002. As a former Pennsylvanian, I'm appalled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users