843 replies to this topic

#796 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

Having breakfast in Southern Utah yesterday...

guns.jpg

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#797 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

This just in!  Nazi war machine would have been beaten back, if France didn't have gun control.

lulz

https://www.national...r-2-resistance/

NR gets fucking sillier every day.

Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#798 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

Did you read the article?

It cannot prove, of course — and doesn’t purport to — that a stronger French tradition of gun rights could have radically altered history, or that America’s more libertarian gun policies strike the right balance among all the relevant priorities. What it does do is force readers to entertain a simple question: When a hostile and brutal power takes over, do you want your countrymen to have guns at hand, or not?

... and

As for the French, “frontal armed resistance against the heavily armed and experienced Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS would have been suicide,” Halbrook concedes. But “guerrilla warfare would have been more of an option with better arms, particularly after D-Day.” The Resistance fought valiantly and helped to liberate Paris and win the war. But it was hamstrung by a lack of equipment...

#799 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:02 PM

We had a shooting in one of our highschools here the other day. Just a murder with a gun. Only one so far this year, they had two last year. Just the way it is, we can't change anything. People kill people, not guns. Even if they are 16 and at school. 

On the way home from my folk's house yesterday I saw a pick up with a big flag flying out of the back. It had an Ak 47 with the words "Come and get it" underneath. Just another angry white guy (in his late 20s) all whipped up about his guns being taken away. 

#800 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:20 AM

Did you read the article?

It cannot prove, of course — and doesn’t purport to — that a stronger French tradition of gun rights could have radically altered history, or that America’s more libertarian gun policies strike the right balance among all the relevant priorities. What it does do is force readers to entertain a simple question: When a hostile and brutal power takes over, do you want your countrymen to have guns at hand, or not?

... and

As for the French, “frontal armed resistance against the heavily armed and experienced Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS would have been suicide,” Halbrook concedes. But “guerrilla warfare would have been more of an option with better arms, particularly after D-Day.” The Resistance fought valiantly and helped to liberate Paris and win the war. But it was hamstrung by a lack of equipment...

Yes, I read it.  It perpetuates the myth that armed citizens are a threat to the modern militaries of their age.  My original comment may have been an exaggeration, but look at the title.  You don't ask that question, to that audience, and expect them to give a well reasoned "no, it made no difference".  By simply asking the question, you're validating the claims of a somewhat ludicrous position.  And since some on the right believe gun rights are necessary, not for personal defense but to "water the tree of liberty", the piece is feeding into that in an unhealthy way.

So, yes, I read and, no, I know the author doesn't really believe that untrained French citizens with shotguns were going to push back the Nazis...but since that's so obvious, why do those crazies need to even ask that question?

Sister burn the temple

#801 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

the myth that armed citizens are a threat to the modern militaries of their age.

History is replete with examples of poorly armed insurgencies defeating well-armed contemporary armies. Off the top of my head, the US military faced a Vietcong resistance that was initially(at least until the Strategic Hamlet Program) very poorly armed... often with WWI era bolt action rifles. Same with the Mujahideen in their fight against the Soviets. Too, after we invaded Iraq, we played hell against people armed with little more than rifles and improvised devices.

Typically, in a war for autonomy, or an insurgency against an occupying power, the rebels don't have to win; they just have to not loose.

Re shotguns: with the proper ammo, they are very effective combat arms in urban centers and dense foliage(and my personal favourite gun).

Back to the article, the resistance in France was never able to acquire sufficient weapons in appreciable quantities to really effect the war in anything other than minor operations. Had they been better equipped, they might've tied up troops that were instead sent east or to Italy. I think that is what the author was getting at.

And, I agree with you about the teabagger nuts and their "blood of liberty" stuff .

#802 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

History is replete with examples of poorly armed insurgencies defeating well-armed contemporary armies. Off the top of my head, the US military faced a Vietcong resistance that was initially(at least until the Strategic Hamlet Program) very poorly armed... often with WWI era bolt action rifles. Same with the Mujahideen in their fight against the Soviets. Too, after we invaded Iraq, we played hell against people armed with little more than rifles and improvised devices. Typically, in a war for autonomy, or an insurgency against an occupying power, the rebels don't have to win; they just have to not loose. Re shotguns: with the proper ammo, they are very effective combat arms in urban centers and dense foliage(and my personal favourite gun). Back to the article, the resistance in France was never able to acquire sufficient weapons in appreciable quantities to really effect the war in anything other than minor operations. Had they been better equipped, they might've tied up troops that were instead sent east or to Italy. I think that is what the author was getting at. And, I agree with you about the teabagger nuts and their "blood of liberty" stuff .

"Defeat" is a subjective word and I don't at all disagree that in asymmetric conflicts an insurgency can succeed via guerrilla tactics, despite being conventionally weaker and less well armed.  But that alone isn't enough and rarely if ever grants a conventional victory, wherein the opposing side loses territory and surrenders. 

If you're to ask whether a violent revolution "against tyranny" (aka healthcare :D ) would succeed in this country, my first and only question would be "which side was the army on?" 

Sister burn the temple

#803 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:46 PM

"Defeat" is a subjective word...

Yeah, that was a piss poor choice of a word... probably should've written "obtained their strategic objective".

#804 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

The shooter at the Kroger store in Louisville yesterday said "whites don't kill whites" when confronted by an armed citizen. They exchanged fire with both missing.

He killed two black folks at the shopping center.

#805 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

The Pit shooter posted this on GAB before he started his rampage(HIAS is a Jewish immigration group):

iwc5WzX.png

GAB has scrubbed his profile, but a Twitter user saved a bunch of it. Some pretty disturbing shit.

https://web.archive....r.com/a/cwB9QkR

#806 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:34 PM

Sick fuck ^^

The white supremacists have had a great week. Wonder where they get their inspiration from?

#807 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:27 AM

^^^ Like cockroaches coming out of the woodwork since der Furher seized control. The fucker in Louisville tried to get into a black church before he killed the people at the grocery store. Local news reported that there was a meeting there an hour before... would've been much worse.

#808 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:35 AM

I'm afraid it's only going to get worse....I'm really sick of this insanity.

I'm also sick of the "both sides" bullshit. Seriously, fuck anybody who says that. 

#809 Its Cousin

Its Cousin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:50 AM

As you know, I have long been a supporter of the 2nd Amendment, but I am seriously reconsidering my position. Over the last few years, I have had a lot of mixed feelings about it. I still support it, but goddamn, something has to be done.

#810 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

So you rant and rave about an illegal immigrant terrorist caravan and, surprise surprise, some whackjob goes and shoots up a synagogue that helps refugees.

Is nothing beyond us anymore? 

Sister burn the temple

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users