32 replies to this topic

#16 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

Is there really an advantage to the Telecaster neck?

They have some differences in shape, especially where they attach to the body and also they have different head stock shapes. I like the maple neck on the Fender tele I have. I have a Jackson strat style but have never owned a real Fender strat.

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#17 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Now I don't like this one as much. He sounds faggy to me. It's weird, maybe it's because it's too smooth and produced. He sounds like one of those white people who try to sound black on the ends of certain words in the way that black people always ruin the national anthem, if you know what I mean.  He sounds more authentic live. Plus, the tone on his guitar is too bright - not like the live stuff.

These songs are much better live. See here:

#18 VOR

VOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

They have some differences in shape, especially where they attach to the body and also they have different head stock shapes. I like the maple neck on the Fender tele I have. I have a Jackson strat style but have never owned a real Fender strat.

I hate maple because it feels sticky. Rosewood is nice and easy to move around on.

#19 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

I have 4 electrics right now. 2 of each. I like both but sometimes I lean toward the maple.

#20 VOR

VOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

I will check out this Ian Moore guy more on youtube and leave you with this -

It's not a cover as much as a dual homage in my mind. I've always liked it:

#21 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

^ This is cool. Love Disintegration. And of course DOAM.

#22 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:29 PM

Speaking of KISS cover songs....

I rarely hear this song anymore but when I do it reminds me of this specific girl in Missouri back in 94. A bunch of us were hanging outside a friend's house and this girl pulled up in her Nissan pickup and that song was blaring. It only lasted 30-60 seconds but from that moment forward the memory stuck and she will forever be associated in my mind to this song.

I like the story of this song. KISS wrote it wanting to give it to Rod Stewart for him to use on his upcoming album. He declined so KISS released it instead. I wish Rod had accepted because it really does sound like a Rod Stewart song.

This is one of my all time favorites......

Back in 2006 when I had involvement in various circles during the leaks, I also got an alternate recording of Helter Skelter that was extremely rare. He wouldn't tell me the origins of the track but it sounded just as good as the Rattle and Hum version so I assume it was the alternate version they almost put on that album. It definitely wasn't bootleg.  It seemed to be at a slightly different tempo and it didn't have the "Charles Manson stole this song from the Beatles, we're stealing it back" line.  I was just as happy to acquire this as those GNR songs. The guy wasn't lying about its rarity, it was nowhere. I am not a hardcore U2 fan to the point of being on their forums but he said the version of the song he gave me was only in the hands of less than a dozen people. I swore I'd never leak it and wouldn't have but I was going to hold on to it and use as "trade bait" in the future to acquire GNR songs or to help one of the hoarders acquire another one by using this track as leverage with what they have.

In early 2007 my computer fried and I lost everything....including this song. I almost cried...literally. Sounds lame I know but its one of my favorite U2/Beatles songs and I knew I'd never get access to the track again. I felt like an idiot for not burning it to a cd.

Speaking of that whole leak saga, it sucked that none of them were M.I.A. fans. I had unheard material from her at the time and that was worth more than any of those CD demos.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#23 VOR

VOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

I didn't know about the Rod Stewart connection to that song. You're right, he would have been perfect for it.

I think Gene Simmons should kick Garth Brooks in the balls with his dragon boots for covering that song. :D

The U2 cover is good.

#24 VOR

VOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

This is Steve Lukather. Not as soulful as the original, but the musicianship is insane.

#25 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

This kid is like 13 years old. 

#26 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

One helluva guitar face ^^

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#27 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz61YQWZuYU

"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#28 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

^That Metallica Lizzy was great. They do really great covers.

#29 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#30 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

Talk about a blast from the past. Dread Zeppelin..... strange band that was. When they were getting a bit of attention on MTV they played a bar in Turlock. I wanted to go but I was 15.

The concert I'll always regret not seeing locally is when The Four Horsemen played the same bar when their album came out. Axl promoted them, I bought the album, loved it, and they just happen to come to my neck of the woods. Why these semi high profile bands made pit stops at a shit hole in Turlock I will never know. In hindsight I assume they were doing a show between shows in Sac and Fresno. Seemes like they'd have picked a club in Modesto. Bizarre.

On the subject of The Four Horsemen, always thought it strange when the topic comes up annually about songs possibly written about Axl(Metallica's King Nothing and The Memory Remains), the song Tired Wings doesn't get mentioned often which is definitely about Axl. Holy shit...they had a video for this song. I do NOT remember it and I watched MTV all the time back then. MTV must have abandoned them at that point. I do remember Rockin Is My Business though. First three songs on that album(Nobody Said It Was Easy, Rockin is..., Tired Wings) are killer. Starts to lose a bit of steam after that. Whole album is pretty damn good though. If you never heard it, should check it out. That band had so much potential. They didn't fit in with that 1991 musical landscape though.It was like a 70s band transported to 1991.  I guess in hindsight they were lucky they got any attention and that's probably due to Axl.

Here's Tired Wings...

I'll post this one as well....

Fucked up story about their lead singer. A few years after this, gets in a motorcycle wreck and dies after being in a coma for a couple years.

When GNR open the vault I'd love for them to release the show with Haggis on bass when Duff was injured or was he just fucked up? Don't remember.

That Metallica cover is great, art. I love those Garage Days releases. My favorite Metallica cover is The Small Hours. I was also blown away by their cover of Seger's Turn the Page.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users