248 replies to this topic

#226 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Starting to sleuth the net in search of cheap tickets. Stubhub has plenty under cost now, but not low enough where I want 'em (by stage.) I found one guy on CL who has row 4 next to the stage but still wants 200/each. My hope is that he's still stuck with them by Thursday so I can low ball the guy and get it. Stubhub has given me great deals on the last two GNR shows though, hopefully I can do the same with VH.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#227 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Looking for tickets for tonight...not very motivated for some reason. Maybe I'll just get nosebleeds for super cheap...

#228 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Kool n the Gang were great, we really enjoyed seeing them.

Van Halen were also fantastic. Not as much fun as the 08 show but I wonder if that's because I was further away. It really does make it an entirely different experience since I found myself looking at the screen a lot. Their stage set up was minimal, and they came on less than 45 after Kool went off. I can't figure out if Roth's new dance moves are cool or just plain goofy. Everybody seemed to be in a good mood in the band. I listened to the majority of the concert with plugs in, which really seems like having sex with a condom on. It's still good, but it's really not THAT good. It muffled the sound for me, but my ears didn't hurt and they weren't ringing when it was all over.

A good night. We had a bite to eat after around midnight and I mentioned that Axl would just now be coming on stage....lol

#229 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

When the happy fun buses that make up the reunited Van Halen tour roll into Southern California in early June, it may be a last opportunity fans have to catch the '70s metal giants on this tour. Dates on the band's summer tour, featuring the oft-feuding lineup of David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen, as well as Eddie's son Wolfgang Van Halen, have been disappearing, canceled without so much as a statement from the band or any explanation from the promoter, Live Nation.

Tickets are no longer on sale for gigs beyond a July 26 date in New Orleans. All told, about 30 dates appear to have been dropped from the tour roster. There is some hope that this isn't the end for the band, as the only information offered by the promoter is that the tour dates have been "temporarily postponed." That's different than saying they're "permanently postponed."

Yet this trek felt perfunctory from the start. Yes, Van Halen can still, at this late stage in its career, be a powerful band. Live shows have been positively received as frill-free and energetically commanding, but new album "A Different Kind of Truth" hinted that this wasn't a band that had a real burning desire to continue to collaborate.

The songs, after all, were largely constructed and rejected 30 years ago. Roth earlier told The Times, "It's material that Eddie and I generated, literally, in 1975, 1976 and 1977."

Local fans can still travel back in time with the band. Concerts scheduled for June 1 and June 9 at the Staples Center are still, as of this moment, a go, and tickets are available. Speculation is that the tour is temporarily off due to in-fighting, as Rolling Stone quoted an unnamed source as saying, "The band is arguing like mad. They are fighting."

That's good news.

An earlier attempt at a reunion was axed due to Eddie Van Halen's health issues, and the guitar wizard has been understandably private when discussing his battles with cancer. However, a recent Esquire interview revealed that, after being declared cancer-free about 10 years ago, he had two recurrences in 2011. "I haven't talked about this, because I don't talk about this," he told Esquire.

The silence around the mysteriously disappearing tour dates would lead one to fear the worst, and representatives for the band and Live Nation did not respond to requests for comment. Yet Pop & Hiss' own anonymous sources close to Van Halen (the band and its pals certainly understand that rock 'n' roll is best with a little mystery) tell us that reports of squabbling are exaggerated.

The band, we're told, is in good health and its members simply realized they took on more dates than they could handle for their advanced ages. Or maybe, perhaps, it's just an elaborate ploy to sell out the remaining six weeks of shows?

Seats left over, however, aren't exactly worth grabbing. Two loge tickets will run you $330.20, and they even come gifted with a little fine print. These seats are "limited view." Then again, maybe it's worth it simply to hear these songs outside of their natural, strip-club habitat.

http://latimesblogs....tour-dates.html

#230 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

If only there was an enterprising young board member who had gone so far as to clue you all in that this band blows...
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#231 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Dave speaks.....all is good

Show me your dragon magic

#232 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

If only there was an enterprising young board member who had gone so far as to clue you all in that this band blows...

I'll gladly assume that role 'cause they really do suck :)
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#233 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

#234 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

^ That was really cool.

#iThing #word
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#235 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

#236 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

Anybody ever know about this?

#237 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Locationa bunker near the Reich Chancellery

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:43 AM

I was watching GNR clips earlier and then started looking at all sorts of rock shit. Stumbled upon this....

What the FUCK? I have not paid any attention to Van Halen in eons so this is shocking. I was a huge Roth fan in my youth but this is officially one of the worst if not THE worst performance I've ever seen from any lead singer. How is he not being booed off the stage or people walking out?  He has worse stage presence than William Hung. Cant sing worth a shit. Talks and laughs the songs instead of singing and when he doesn't even want to talk or laugh he just tells the crowd to sing. People pay money for this shit?

This may be the sign of the apocalypse.

see? I wasn't exaggerating.....

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#238 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:54 AM

Holy fuck. I had no idea William Hung did Hotel California and Rocket Man. When's his follow up album Chinese Democracy coming out? What could possibly be the delay?

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

-Adolf Hitler

#239 Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:58 AM

bonus track:

-Adolf Hitler

#240 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

haha, last I saw...and this was a few years ago, you could get William Hung to play at your event for a mere 2,000 bucks or so. I'd bet much lower now. It may be time for me to book this guy for my birthday next year! For a few hundred bucks, it would be worth it. 

Roth's voice...yea, bad man. And those bitchin' rock Gawd moves have since been replaced with these jerky turret syndrome outbreaks paired with this nutty smile of his.  He looks like a middle aged drunk guy who got onto stage and now isn't sure what to do next. So he does this weird jig, flaps his arms around and smiles a lot until they drag him off.  

I don't know why they put out that live album at all. The reviews overwhelmingly slam his vocals. It's amazing the difference between 1980's Dave and this version. I still really liked the new album. 

I'm enjoying Rocket Man by Hung...reminds me of Benny and the Jets by Beastie Boys and Biz Markie...also horrible, but very entertaining. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users