I so miss having a doggie.

#32 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:18 AM

Looking at endless dogs tonight. The one pocket lab I was looking at was pulled from the kill shelter and is now in a foster home until adoption. So that's good. I found a full blood yellow lab, 7 months whose owner gave it up as he/she was unable to care for it. We emailed them and are waiting. Going to the pound tomorrow to look around too.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#33 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

Alex walks the dogs sometimes on Sundays.He got to use it as some of his volunteer hours for highschool..doesn't matter to him though, he would have done it for absolutely nothing. He is an animal lover to the extreme

I love all mammals. It breaks my heart to see a wounded critter on the road. If they are dead, I always mumble "poor buddy". If alive, I bring them home, or to a local vet that cares for wild animals.

And, for the record, I love possums. They make some of the most loyal, loving, kind, and gentle pets that anyone could ask for.

Too, as babies, they hang from their tail... how cool is that?

#34 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

very cool! Unfortunately here the only exposure I have had with possums are the poor dead little buggers on the road.I see alot of small wildlife here driving some of the back roads in the wee hours of the morning. As a kid growing up there was a section of our basement closed off that was my place. I used to bring home sick and injure animals alot of the time. Everything from ducklings to wild kittens to turtles. We didn't have alot of money but there was a family practioner who lived next door and I was forever knocking on the door and asking the 'doctors' advice on how to care for my animals not knowing if he reallt knew or not considering he was a 'people' doctor. Damn, that man must have had the patience of Job with me bugging him. A few of the wild kitties I was able to nurse and domesticate to some extent and went on to become great family pets. I even saved three white geese once..they grew to an alarming size and my dad and Opa ended up making Thanksgiving dinner for our entire side of the family from Huey,Dewey and Louie..needless to say I couldn't get passed the lump in my throat to ever ingest a single bite. I have tons of farm stories as well..my dads side of the family was largely agricultural.

#35 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

Went to the shelter today. It was pit bull heaven. There were some great dogs though. Really a heart breaker. Found one older (8yrs) yellow lab that was as sweet as could be. VERY skinny and had heart worms. I wanted to talk him out for a walk and meet him, but it turned out an animal rescue had just adopted it.

#36 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Alex walks the dogs sometimes on Sundays.He got to use it as some of his volunteer hours for highschool..doesn't matter to him though, he would have done it for absolutely nothing. He is an animal lover to the extreme

I love all mammals. It breaks my heart to see a wounded critter on the road. If they are dead, I always mumble "poor buddy". If alive, I bring them home, or to a local vet that cares for wild animals.

And, for the record, I love possums. They make some of the most loyal, loving, kind, and gentle pets that anyone could ask for.

Too, as babies, they hang from their tail... how cool is that?

Even though I am not religious I still tend to do "Catholic" things from time to time. I do the sign of the cross when I pass a graveyard or an animal that has been hit on the road. I figure even though I am not a super Jesus freak that it's my own personal way of hoping they made it to a better place.

As everyone knows, I am an animal freak....and not just cats. I actually hated cats when I was younger because where I grew up there was a nasty one that attacked everything. He attacked a poor bunny one day and it was still alive in my neighbors driveway and I stood there for 2 hours until my Mom came home from work and we took the bunny to wildlife rescue. They rehabilitated it and put it back in the wild. I think I was maybe 10 or so.
You Commie, Homo Loving Sons of Guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

My mom started out disliking cats, and then grew to love them. She has a couple inside the house and then strays on the back porch.

#38 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

So I went to the dog pound today and looked at some more dogs. I found this killer eight month old Golden Retriever that I really connected with. It was pawing at the bottom of the gate and jumping up trying to see me. Fairly big 65 pounds, but what a looker. I'm going back again tomorrow. I didn't take it out for a walk because I knew I'd be coming home with it if I did. What a cool dog though.

#39 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

So I went to the dog pound today and looked at some more dogs. I found this killer eight month old Golden Retriever that I really connected with. It was pawing at the bottom of the gate and jumping up trying to see me. Fairly big 65 pounds, but what a looker. I'm going back again tomorrow. I didn't take it out for a walk because I knew I'd be coming home with it if I did. What a cool dog though.

Take it home. Great breed...very friendly.

Sadly, my last experience with a dog didn't go so well, so I haven't had one for a couple of years. Bought a Humane Society puppy (collie-beagle mix) and it was sick very quickly (perhaps a problem with the spaying?) and we had to put her down very soon. It was a very tough decision, and my wife and I certainly didn't do it because it was "easier" for us (shit...how "easy" is it to spend $1200 on a dog you have for a week?!?!). I named her Izzy. Might name my next one that too, since this Izz didn't get a fair shake at life.

But don't let that dissuade you. It's a good thing to do and, if you're prepared for ownership, it's worth it (not to mention you're not giving money to some damned puppy mill!).
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#40 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:45 PM

Take it home. Great breed...very friendly.

Sadly, my last experience with a dog didn't go so well, so I haven't had one for a couple of years. Bought a Humane Society puppy (collie-beagle mix) and it was sick very quickly (perhaps a problem with the spaying?) and we had to put her down very soon. It was a very tough decision, and my wife and I certainly didn't do it because it was "easier" for us (shit...how "easy" is it to spend $1200 on a dog you have for a week?!?!). I named her Izzy. Might name my next one that too, since this Izz didn't get a fair shake at life.

But don't let that dissuade you. It's a good thing to do and, if you're prepared for ownership, it's worth it (not to mention you're not giving money to some damned puppy mill!).

Very sad.

I'm going back tomorrow and will probably take that one out for a walk. The Missus wanted a small dog, which I love too (Shih Tzu, Maltese etc) but I just LOVE the Lab breeds. There are a lot of dogs there and it's very sad. There are/were some small ones but there just wasn't that instant connection. Dunno what it was about that particular dog but it was an instant "vibe" where I was just loved the damn thing. The paperwork said 8 months and was an inside dog prior to arriving at the pound. Says "Partially house broken", so that could mean anything. I'm guessing with my other two dogs it would learn fairly quickly where to use the bathroom.

Also when I walk around I'll ask the dogs to sit and about half of them do. Sooooo eager to please a human, it's really sad. The Golden didn't. So I assume he probably lived in a house where they just let him do whatever and he is out of control. He's already pretty damn big for 8 months (like 65 pounds) so it would be a big, hyper dog with no obedience history. I'm willing to do that as I've read they are extremely intelligent and loving.

My other dog is 8.5 yrs and is starting to develop what I'm afraid are tumors on her body. I'm taking her in soon to get them looked at. She has been on cortisone (Same shit they want to put me on, lol) for years for her constant itching that we could never pinpoint. My childhood dog was on it for the same thing and eventually died of cancerous tumors all over his body (Although he did make it 15 yrs.) We had to put him down. At the end he was so full of tumors he couldn't lay down, he would just lay on these big pillows we had stacked up. I'm hoping this is not the deal with my current dog, but it's probably the case. Poor itchy thing.

We will see tomorrow what happens, I can't stop thinking about the damn thing. I guess the real question is, how many dogs is acceptable in a home before it's just plain ole retarded?

#41 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

Check that out, haha.

#42 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

Well somebody got the dog, so that's good. I still saw it again though, so that's cool.

#43 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

Got a Lhasa Apso today, rescued from one of those puppy mills. Six years old and very sweet/shy. Pics later.

#44 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

awwww I love little doggies! I wanna see!

#45 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:25 AM

She has kennel cough, and needs eye drops. We took her for her first walk tonight and she really liked it. Total chill dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users