#76 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Nook or Kindle reader? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of one and/or the other? I can't decide.

I have neither, but I worry about Nook, simply because a touch screen is just another thing to go wrong.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#77 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

If it's any help - I've never heard of Nook. People around me use Kindle and are happy with it.

#78 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Just finished up White Slave, Marco Pierre White's (ghost-written) autobiography. It was as dull and lifeless as most ghost-written books, but some of the info in there was interesting. I'm food mad and I love hearing about top chefs, so I lapped up all the stuff to do him working in three-star Michelin kitchens, and building his own legendary restaurant, and training Gordon Ramsay. All the stuff about his personal life, I skipped. Might blow through Ramsay's biog in a similar fashion this week.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#79 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Nook or Kindle reader? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of one and/or the other? I can't decide.

I have neither, but I worry about Nook, simply because a touch screen is just another thing to go wrong.

That's a good point that I hadn't though about. One of the reasons why I'm torn between the two is because when the battery needs changing on the Nook you can get a new one locally, at any Barnes and Noble store, and put it in yourself. With the Kindle you have to send your reader back to Amazon and they send you back a different Kindle that they've loaded with your books. I'm just not sure how I feel about that.

If it's any help - I've never heard of Nook. People around me use Kindle and are happy with it.

The Nook is Barnes and Noble's version of the Kindle only you can get the Nook in color which is great for reading magazines and you can take it into any brick and mortar B & N if you need tech help. The Nook is back lit and the Kindle is not so I'm guessing the Kindle is more like reading an actual book page/print.

I wish I could decide because I've got money burning in my pocket. Posted Image

#80 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

I've had my Kindle since they first came out and the battery still works fine. The new ones look much nicer though, better designed buttons and looks easier to read.
Show me your dragon magic

#81 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

I would probably get an iPad, and then the Kindle app. A two-fer.

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000490441

#82 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

I would love, LOVE an iPad but they cost a lot more than a Kindle or 1st generation Nook. You can get a Kindle for $140.

#83 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

I would love, LOVE an iPad but they cost a lot more than a Kindle or 1st generation Nook. You can get a Kindle for $140.

I know, but you deserve it! Posted Image

#84 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

I pad is horrible for reading books.

#85 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

I pad is horrible for reading books.

Good to know. Now I don't feel so bad I can't afford one. Posted Image

#86 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Picked up my wife a Kindle today. We dig it so far.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#87 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

Picked up my wife a Kindle today.

We dig it so far.

If you get yourself one, think if you put it on same account then you can access all the same books. Though if you're planning to download 'how to get away with murdering your spouse so you can run off with a student half your age" you might not want to. It's not that great of a book to be honest.

#88 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

^^ Maybe 2/3 your age or something in your case.

#89 delusianne

delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

Oooh, noooo, what about just staying with paper? You'll go blind from those electronic things... and you can't have a lovely library of them.... and they don't have a feel... don't, WM, don't do it! :)
Re-reading an old Scott Fitz anthology and from my local library's paltry scattering of books on the history of Spain, "Royal Vendetta", about the comically awful Bourbon dynasty of the 1800s, a snippy, gossipy little piece of candy by an author who speaks in a wannabe Patrick Dennis tone of voice (published in the early 60s IIRC too).

#90 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Oooh, noooo, what about just staying with paper? You'll go blind from those electronic things... and you can't have a lovely library of them.... and they don't have a feel... don't, WM, don't do it! :)
Re-reading an old Scott Fitz anthology and from my local library's paltry scattering of books on the history of Spain, "Royal Vendetta", about the comically awful Bourbon dynasty of the 1800s, a snippy, gossipy little piece of candy by an author who speaks in a wannabe Patrick Dennis tone of voice (published in the early 60s IIRC too).

Too late. I just ordered the latest generation Kindle with free 3G+wiFi. Now I have to wait a whole week for Amazon to deliver it. We have library in our house with floor-to-ceiling books on three walls. I won't run out of books on paper to look at, smell and feel any time I want. We've gotten to the point where we had to donate an old book just to have room to buy something new and I hated that. And with a Kindle I can take all my favorite books to the nursing home when they drag me off kicking and screaming. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users