• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#46 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

Penthouse.

#47 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

If there are any other sci-fi/fantasy nerds here, I'm currently on book seven of Steven Erikson's Malazan series.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#48 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

How is it? I'm a big sci-fi fan, but am pretty new to fantasy. Someone turned me on to A Song of Ice and Fire over the summer, which I loved, and has made me think I should check out some more from the genre.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#49 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

How is it?

I'm a big sci-fi fan, but am pretty new to fantasy. Someone turned me on to A Song of Ice and Fire over the summer, which I loved, and has made me think I should check out some more from the genre.

Song of Ice and Fire is incredible...if you don't mind waiting way too long between installments. By the time they release another, I'll have to reread the series just to remember what's happened/who the characters are. That said, it's kind of on the fringes of fantasy. Most of it could be almost historical, though of course there's just enough fantasy (not much at first...more as you move along) to fit it in that genre. And the characters are very very good.

The Malazan series is very good, but unique. This is meant to be a ten book series, of which book ten is due out early 2011, so no waiting. That said, it could have been 20 books. Erikson doesn't commonly use a narrative voice to offer much explanation/background info. The first book doesn't start small, then lead to big events...it starts in the middle of big events and you, as a reader, have to sink or swim. You manage to swim, and it's worth it, but then in book two he does the same...on a completely different continent. It's truly a "worldwide" series, with numerous MAJOR plotlines, presumably proceeding toward the final culmination. There have been many times when I've been very frustrated with the series. After all, the work of beginning a series doesn't carry over to familiarity with the characters in the next few books, as NEW plot lines and characters are introduced, rather than further developing those already introduced. I'd almost describe this series as having three "book one"s, where you're beginning completely anew, meaning you also have as many "book two"s where there's some familiarity but still a lot of new stuff going on and new plotlines and characters. So, yeah, it's immense and can be frustrating. That said, I'm on book seven and despite the frustrations I've managed to stick it out. Notably, the book that initially had me the most frustrated (book 5 a.k.a. "book 1.3") also has turned out to be perhaps my favorite in the series.

If you're looking for more in this genre, I'd recommend:

Joe Abercrombie - "The Blade Itself"...first of a finished three books, with a follow up stand alone novel, and another book on the way that seems like it might pick up where this series ends. This series is great. Gritty, funny as hell, great characters, NOT cliche. If you're not yet sure about fantasy, pick this up. This would be my number one recommendation, both for quality and size of the series (i.e. it's great and not too large of a commitment).

Scott Lynch - "The Lies of Locke Lamora"....this is a stand alone fantasy (again, on the fringes) novel. Essentially a thieves' caper. Has another stand alone follow up, and soon to be a third.

Greg Keyes - "The Briar King" ...a finished, four book series. Full on fantasy, though it avoids most of the cliches and has good characters.

Glen Cook - "Chronicles of the Black Company"...finished series surrounding the exploits of a mercenary company. Told from a soldiers POV and different than other fantasy in many ways. You can see that The Black Company was clearly among Erikson's inspirations.

Guy Gavriel Kay - "The Lions of Al Rassan"...not fantasy, exactly. More like filling in the gaps of history, this novel (as well as other Kay novels) is a fictionalization of an historical event/period. In this case, the reconquest of Spain. The countries/peoples/religions have different names than in historical reality and it's more using the fictionalization of historical events to tell a more character driven story.

Robert Jordan - "Eye of the World" ...the modern fantasy master, in many ways. He died before finishing his "Wheel of Time" series, but two of the last three books have been written, using his notes, by another fantasy author, Brandon Sanderson. If you really get into this genre, you'll inevitably end up here. But, it should be mentioned, I started this series in high school and fourteen years later I'm not done. The last book is expected in the next two years (finally...thank goodness), so it's probably safe to start. You'll likely find the first five books to be great, the next five to slow down (occasionally too slow), and then the last few to start moving again. Did I mention that this is a 14 book series? This is largely the opposite of Erikson's Malazan series in so many ways. Length is a similarity, but this occurs largely on one continent, has one major plotline and numerous tangential plots, and spends much more time explaining. If Erikson wrote with as much explanation as Jordan, he'd need another ten books. In that sense, you never get "lost" with Jordan. If you were to pick something up right now that takes a big commitment, I'd recommend this, though you might find that you finish what's out there before the last book is out.
Sister burn the temple

#50 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks freedom, that list's awesome. I'll definitely check some of these out - maybe put them on the Christmas list. The Blade Itself looks particularly appealing. Have you read any RA Salvatore? I thought he did a good job on the Star Wars novel Vector Prime, so I've been wondering what his fantasy stuff is like. I think I got into ASOIAF at quite a decent time. Seems pretty likely the next book will be out in 2011, and there's the upcoming HBO series to keep me busy in the meantime. With a bit of luck, it'll prove to be a success and it'll put the pressure on Martin to speed up a bit. If not, then nevermind. I'm a Guns N' Roses fan, so I can deal with long waits!
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#51 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

Thanks freedom, that list's awesome. I'll definitely check some of these out - maybe put them on the Christmas list. The Blade Itself looks particularly appealing. Have you read any RA Salvatore? I thought he did a good job on the Star Wars novel Vector Prime, so I've been wondering what his fantasy stuff is like.

I think I got into ASOIAF at quite a decent time. Seems pretty likely the next book will be out in 2011, and there's the upcoming HBO series to keep me busy in the meantime. With a bit of luck, it'll prove to be a success and it'll put the pressure on Martin to speed up a bit. If not, then nevermind. I'm a Guns N' Roses fan, so I can deal with long waits!

I can't recall if I've read any Salvatore. I mostly read this sort of stuff back in the 90s. Only started back at it again a couple of years ago, so I can't rightly remember what I read back in the day.

As for Martin...well, another two are expected AFTER #5...I'm hoping to not yet be over the hill when he finishes. God willing he won't die like Jordan.
Sister burn the temple

#52 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

The smoke from a cigarette is not just inhaled by the smoker. It becomes secondhand smoke,which contains more then 50 cancer causing agents. Health-Canada

#53 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

The smoke from a cigarette is not just inhaled by the smoker. It becomes secondhand smoke,which contains more then 50 cancer causing agents.

Health-Canada

I swallowed a Brita filter years ago...pretty sure that takes care of it.
Sister burn the temple

#54 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Just finished "Game Change"....LOVE THIS BOOK. Go read it now.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#55 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Just finished Mister Pip by Lloyd James. A man reads Great Expectations to an island completely forgotten by civilization of children who've never been read to before, or had their imaginations triggered in the slightest. Very good, albeit with a very sad ending.

http://www.amazon.co...91000122&sr=8-1
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#56 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

The bible... Learned I might be going to hell.

#57 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

Borrowed some books off my dad as I feel I can't really afford to buy any right now. Currently reading The Girl on the Landing by Paul Torday. Not bad so far, but not a patch on his first book, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

#58 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

I'm reading "Under the banner of heaven" about the FLDS in S. Utah/N. Arizona. So far they sound just like the Taliban..

#59 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

Borrowed some books off my dad as I feel I can't really afford to buy any right now. Currently reading The Girl on the Landing by Paul Torday. Not bad so far, but not a patch on his first book, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

I don't know if this helps, but I buy used books off Amazon for insanely cheap prices. Often the shipping costs more than anything. I've been picking up books for 5 bucks a pop out the door.

#60 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

I don't know if this helps, but I buy used books off Amazon for insanely cheap prices. Often the shipping costs more than anything. I've been picking up books for 5 bucks a pop out the door.

...and I'm sure the shipping is usually $3-4 of that cost.

We've started doing the library mostly. I've got two overpacked bookcases, another in my dad's basement, not to mention all the books I took to the office just to make space here. And the, once I read 'em, what do I need them for?
Sister burn the temple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users