372 replies to this topic

#61 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

And the, once I read 'em, what do I need them for?

I put mine on a shelf to show everybody how smart I am.

Actually I was thinking the same thing the other day...what am I going to start doing with these books once I read them?
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#62 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

Sell them on Amazon

#63 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

ha, yea I should.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#64 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

Borrowed some books off my dad as I feel I can't really afford to buy any right now. Currently reading The Girl on the Landing by Paul Torday. Not bad so far, but not a patch on his first book, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

I don't know if this helps, but I buy used books off Amazon for insanely cheap prices. Often the shipping costs more than anything. I've been picking up books for 5 bucks a pop out the door.

Aye, I know I can get books off Amazon dirt cheap. But we're trying to scrimp wherever we can at the mo, and as my dad's got thousands of the things, it just makes sense to treat him like a library and get stuff for free! It's not bad really - he's got hundreds of books I'd quite happily give a read.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#65 michelle

michelle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy

#66 MrsBrisby

MrsBrisby

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

Reading "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis Very good so far.

#67 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Finished The Girl on the Landing last night. It got really good after about 100 pages or so, but then the ending was kind of rushed. Worth a read, but not worth going out of your way for. Next up, A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M Miller.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#68 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Just finished Toll the Hounds (Book 8 of 10 in Erikson's Malazan series). I had picked up Fight Club (book...not movie) to read, just to see how it compared, and it was short so I cranked through it in a day. Now I'm on to Dust of Dreams (book 9 of those 10 mentioned above).
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#69 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

I went to my book club today and the new book we were issued to read this month is "Sex Wars" by Marge Piercy. Anyone read it? It's set in post-Civil War New York City and apparently the book will be taking me to a lot of brothels and prisons from what the back cover says.

#70 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy

I liked these quite a bit

#71 delusianne

delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hey, Commie elitists who think you're better than everybody else. Read this book. It's one of the best things I've ever, ever read.
Rendezvous with Destiny: A History of Modern American Reform, by Eric F. Goldman (1952)
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1566633699
http://en.wikipedia....Eric_F._Goldman
http://www.nytimes.c...ml?pagewanted=1
(Huh. From that Times obit, this book "became something of a standard text for high school and college students." !! Can't imagine in the present day. Could have influenced the JFK-era liberal sensibility.)

#72 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

I haven't been reading a lot lately, but I started " Arthropod Fossils and Phylogeny". It is a collection of papers that presents the two most accepted arguments for the evolution, and diversity, of arthropods, ie. whether or not the chelicerates are of the same clade as the crustaceans and atelocerates. Most would probably find it boring, but I thrive on that kind of shit.

#73 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

uhhh.....Life, Keith Richards (that's about as deep as I get, with books)

#74 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

just finished the Steve Adler auto I got for Christmas, never got around to it til now..complete fluff but a good read when you put yourself in his head..I also got the collectors editions of the GnR book of photos by Robert JohnPosted Image

#75 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

Nook or Kindle reader? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of one and/or the other? I can't decide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users