#16 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

^Absolutely...the "U" stands for "unidentified"...not "aliens". I don't really believe that aliens have come here from another planet. But I do believe that there is other life out there, simply because of the odds of other planets, like Earth, existing in that small window of distance from a star and buildup of greenhouse gasses that preserves the planet from either a runaway greenhouse effect or being a frozen wasteland. And, given the extremes at which life exists on this planet, it may be even more prevalent than I'm guessing.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#17 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

where can I buy the cliff notes for this conversation? Im askin for D

#18 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

I don't think it's far fetched to believe we have had visitors from somewhere else.

And this:

Not life as we perceive it anyway.

And kinda what D said.

More specifically I think there is much more to our world (going on around us) than we are capable of comprehending at this time.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#19 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

^But man has kind of, hard wired, in his mind to think that which irrational. Hence, pareidolia!

#20 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

It is classic "flight or flee" response. Micheal Shermer had a good post on SciAm last year.

Why People Believe Invisible Agents Control the World.

#21 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

But I do believe that there is other life out there, simply because of the odds of other planets, like Earth, existing in that small window of distance from a star and buildup of greenhouse gasses that preserves the planet from either a runaway greenhouse effect or being a frozen wasteland. And, given the extremes at which life exists on this planet, it may be even more prevalent than I'm guessing.

Absolutely- there almost has to be! Before the Kepler mission last year, there were less than 200 exo-planets discovered; now, since, over 1700... and that is just in a few months!!!

It is recognized that planetary systems are common in the formation of star systems.

Surveys tell us that there are 40 nonillian stars in the observable universe.
That is 40 x10⁴⁰... a fucking shit load! It works out to more than every grain of sand in every desert, every ocean, and every bed of sst combined!

Odd are, they are out there. If the odds are 1 in a million, there are billions.

#22 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

where can I buy the cliff notes for this conversation?

Trade for pics; here's mine. ;)

Posted Image

#23 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

I shouldn't post that, but y'all have it anyway.

#24 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

So no, there are no little green men.

What if they landed here millions of years before humans even existed? ;)
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#25 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

What if they landed here millions of years before humans even existed? ;)

What if they're ENORMOUS green men and we're all just little alien sperms, adrift on a giant alien testicle of blue and green?
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#26 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

^But man has kind of, hard wired, in his mind to think that which irrational. Hence, pareidolia!

I'd argue that man is hard wired to be arrogant and is often wrong.

You've become no better than a religious kook, the people you are so critical of. There is only one way of looking at things, and it's your way. People with other opinions you insult and are disrespectful to. I'd recommend you take a look at the one rule, ie don't be a douchebag.

As for this topic, I don't know if there are aliens flying around this planet or not. However I think we are limited to what we understand about many things including space and time. I don't think that's outrageous or irrational. What did humans believe to be true 1000, 2000, 5000 yrs ago? What will we know to be true in another 2000? What has science been wrong about before? Are we at the infancy of our evolutionary stage right now?

These are interesting questions (to me anyway), and this could be an interesting topic. What we don't need is disrespectful posts towards others you don't agree with to ruin it. You did this before and it was really insulting, especially given that it was in regards to my health care (no I didn't go on a spaceship, don't ask. Although I was anally probed at one point.)
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#27 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Although I was anally probed at one point.)

Posted Image
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#28 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

lmao...wasn't expecting that

#29 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

I believe there is an alternative universe running parallel with us right now,we just don't have the senses to detect them, and they don't have the senses to detect us. there are other planets... they aren't there for scenery.

What you are referring to is the Multi-Verse Hypothesis. It has been derived from complex mathematics(don't ask me to explain it; my math isn't that good), and the numbers work out in simulations.

We have discussed this before on the forum( I did a search and it came back with nothing, so it might have been at the old place). Basically, the postulate is that there are an infinite number of universes. So, every action that you have ever contemplated has occurred... and, every action that anyone has ever contemplated! Weird shit, I know, but the numbers crunch.

So, if it is true, I would like to give a shout out to all myself homies out there... Hey, me. Most of those are probably shouting back- at least the ones that like me.

On to the question at hand:

Of course there are UFOs. By definition, it is a phenomenon that is unexplained. Everyone has seen something in the sky that they didn't know what it was composed of!

As to extra-terrestrial life visiting Earth? Of course, not. Most people that espouse such views have no comprehension of the vast distances of space travel, or the physics involved.

Briefly, space is a very dangerous place. Relativistic particles are zapping about everywhere; it is the magnetosphere of our planet that has allowed the development of life, here. Without it, the planet would be sterile.

Then, there are the vast distances. Nearby stars are 10-100 light years(ly) from Earth; the closest, Alpha Proxima Centaurti, is 4.2 ly distant. Our current technologies would require 17,000 years to reach that closest neighbor. Again, the same to return.

Now, some might present the argument that there are species that are much more advanced... to which I would say- hell, it took us 4.6 billion years of evolution to reach this stage, and it was a fluke of circumstance- the need to manipulate tools- that advanced our cranial capacity.

But, let us assume that a superior race is out there, and that they can travel. There is still a fundamental constant that has been observed all over the Universe; from present all the way back to the Cosmic Microwave Background... E=MC².

What that tells us is that energy and mass are equivalent... and a function of the speed of light! In other words, It would take all of the mass of the universe to accelerate a particle at relativistic velocities.

Excellent post and I pretty much agree on all points. I don't remember the name of the theory at the moment, but it actually considers the possibility that we are the only intelligent life in the universe so far, or IF there is more, it is at our level or much further behind. Taking the supposed age of the universe into consideration, the universe may now just be ripe enough to start producing life(not NOW, but the past few billion years). As you stated, many things had to occur just for microbes to start flourishing here, and that's not even counting everything since.

The universe(especially in the past) was simply too chaotic for human like creatures to start showing up in every star system.

When the Hubble is looking in the vast distance(past) of space, you can pretty much guarantee no life resides there. If we're going to find anything even remotely resembling us, its gonna need to be a star near us or in the least one of the close galaxies nearby.

I know the country doesn't have the money for this now, but if we get the ball rolling again its time to start doing some serious exploring of Mars, Europa, and Titan. If we can find any sort of life elsewhere in our own Solar System(or evidence of life in its past), it would definitely be a game changer and certainly increases the chances of life flourishing in other systems.

The surface of Europa definitely needs to be cracked open and drop a few fishing lines in its ocean. You might get a bite....

If there are "little green men" visiting Earth, they are probably residing in our own system somewhere, maybe even a planet not yet discovered.

Whats funny about the search for life is if we got a signal from some galaxy thousands of light years away, it would be totally worthless as the civilization would probably already be dead and would certainly be dead before receiving a message from us.

We gotta dig in our own backyard for anything substantial.

I'd argue that man is hard wired to be arrogant and is often wrong

Not only that, but we have a thirst for destroying ourselves. Makes you wonder if other intelligent life is the same, and if so, do they kill themselves before reaching the point of being able to travel vast distances?

Anytime we make technological breakthroughs, its military potential is often considered before anything else. If aliens are more concerned with bombing a country because they supposedly have WMDs, I doubt they are interested in finding us.

In our civilization's best interest, I think it would be safer to discover microbes or at the most something like dinosaurs. These things could be studied for an infinite amount of time without too many complications.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#30 MrsBrisby

MrsBrisby

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

I'm sure there is some type of life form out there. I think it would be cool if we could live on other planets. Or take vacations to different planets. Travel in a space car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users