4463 replies to this topic

#91 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

He's to Republican for my taste (not a surprise since he used to be a righty.)
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#92 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:50 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone talk about reducing the deficit AND cutting taxes.

The cognitive dissonance required to be an American voter is simply amazing.

From a Fox news moron over at CD (I'm blasting away over there, it makes HTGTH look like it's filled with geniuses):

Cutting taxes does not "add to the deficit" (or debt).

#93 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:45 AM

I'm shocked that Brown won. Whitman had been saturating the entire state with ads. It may have been a backlash to that which caused Brown to get in by the hair of his chinny chin chin. I was glad he won, just surprised to see it actually happen when I came home tonight. Cant believe prop 19 lost. Even people opposed to marijuana or drugs of any kind should have voted yes on that. The average voter is a frightening thing to think about. I don't even want to know what goes through their heads.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#94 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

At this point, I'm choosing to be optimistic about this election. You have to find the opportunities where they arise and, while we've elected a bunch of radicals who believe the free market can do no wrong, one thing I can get behind is the idea of working on the deficit. I agree with Republicans that government is far too obtrusive (though we disagree about where such problems exist). There are so many damned silly laws that, assuming we pay to regulate/enforce them, could really add up if we dealt with them. Of course, the sooner we stop paying for our overseas military adventures, including Cold War style troop placements in bases around the globe, the better. That's area #1 where we could save big.

I could also get behind a bipartisan immigration reform, provided it's not done in the way of demonizing brown people as the problem with our country. If we work to secure the borders, provide a reasonable path to citizenship, and provide local law enforcement with what it needs to combat the infiltration of the cartels, then I'd be open to most things that accomplish that.

I'm shocked that Brown won. Whitman had been saturating the entire state with ads. It may have been a backlash to that which caused Brown to get in by the hair of his chinny chin chin. I was glad he won, just surprised to see it actually happen when I came home tonight.

From what I'm seeing, he's up 900,000 and 12%. Dude must have one heluva chinny chin chin.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#95 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

So, what do the teabaggers want cut? Social Security, Medicare, National debt interest and Defense alone take up over 80% of all tax income, presumably more if/when taxes are cut. Immigration reform would most likely be a net loss of revenues also.
http://en.wikipedia...._federal_budget
Show me your dragon magic

#96 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

I saw a number of Republicans interviewed last night, including Eric Cantor, and not a damned one would say what to cut. It will be strange when they go after healthcare, since that's deficit neutral at worst.
Sister burn the temple

#97 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

Here's the details of the healthcare law - fortunately for the GOP/TP few people will read it.
http://www.healthcar...der/byyear.html

#98 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

I saw a number of Republicans interviewed last night, including Eric Cantor, and not a damned one would say what to cut. It will be strange when they go after healthcare, since that's deficit neutral at worst.

I saw that, he couldn't answer a thing. Much like Bachman he just kept repeating the same crap.

At this point, I'm choosing to be optimistic about this election.

Me too.

#99 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Liberals angry at O

#100 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

http://hosted.ap.org...US_HOUSE_CANTOR
GOP confirms they have absolutely no ideas.

#101 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

Liberals angry at O

Liberals are always angry at their leaders. Think of it this way. If Republicans do NOTHING, then they've accomplished preventing our state's glacially slow move to the left. If Democrats do SOMETHING, they've not gotten to where they left wants to be.

Take me for example. Healthcare is probably the issue on which I"m furthest to the left. By my measure, the new healthcare law failed to include truly everyone, was FAR too corporatist, and included NO public component (despite the GOP calling this a gov't takeover, it's anything but). It took me months to reconcile my healthcare "ideal" with what we were getting and to decide if I truly supported this or not. I decided I do support it because, despite the things above, it also does some very good things, like killing off the idea of pre-existing conditions, increasing subsidies, and keeping young Americans on their parents coverage for considerably longer. It is still FAR too pro-insurance.
Sister burn the temple

#102 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

Did you hear about Obama going to India? It's going to cost the US tax payer 10 BILLION TRILLION DOLLARS a day! True story, I swear.

#103 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Liberals angry at O

Liberals are always angry at their leaders. Think of it this way. If Republicans do NOTHING, then they've accomplished preventing our state's glacially slow move to the left. If Democrats do SOMETHING, they've not gotten to where they left wants to be.

Take me for example. Healthcare is probably the issue on which I"m furthest to the left. By my measure, the new healthcare law failed to include truly everyone, was FAR too corporatist, and included NO public component (despite the GOP calling this a gov't takeover, it's anything but). It took me months to reconcile my healthcare "ideal" with what we were getting and to decide if I truly supported this or not. I decided I do support it because, despite the things above, it also does some very good things, like killing off the idea of pre-existing conditions, increasing subsidies, and keeping young Americans on their parents coverage for considerably longer. It is still FAR too pro-insurance.

I'll be a bit perturbed if he rolls over on the Bush tax cut thingy. Although if he can work out a compromise between that and extending the Federal money for UE then I'd probably be ok with it. Frankly I can't believe that the GOP would say no to extending UE, while simultaneously giving the wealthy tax cuts. That would be political suicide I'd imagine.

I still don't get the "cut revenue to help pay down the deficit" part either. People who parrot this idea should have their heads checked. One because it's stupid, but also because we've had the tax cuts for nearly a decade. The last 3 we've been in the shitter and it's obvious that the tax cuts are not creating jobs. In fact firms are sitting on cash now, making profits, and not hiring. So why should we continue doing the same thing and expect a different result? STUPID!

#104 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

Liberals angry at O

I'll be a bit perturbed if he rolls over on the Bush tax cut thingy. Although if he can work out a compromise between that and extending the Federal money for UE then I'd probably be ok with it. Frankly I can't believe that the GOP would say no to extending UE, while simultaneously giving the wealthy tax cuts. That would be political suicide I'd imagine.

I still don't get the "cut revenue to help pay down the deficit" part either. People who parrot this idea should have their heads checked. One because it's stupid, but also because we've had the tax cuts for nearly a decade. The last 3 we've been in the shitter and it's obvious that the tax cuts are not creating jobs. In fact firms are sitting on cash now, making profits, and not hiring. So why should we continue doing the same thing and expect a different result? STUPID!

I really couldn't care less about the tax cuts. At worst, it's the status quo.

But I do find the tax cut issue funny. These tax cuts supposedly got us out of the early 2000s recession. The cuts never went away and now we're in a far far worse recession...can anyone explain the logic of this?
Sister burn the temple

#105 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

But I do find the tax cut issue funny. These tax cuts supposedly got us out of the early 2000s recession. The cuts never went away and now we're in a far far worse recession...can anyone explain the logic of this?

We'll tell you once you let us cut 'em...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users