59 replies to this topic

#1 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

I just don't get the Right's apparent disdain for Michelle Obama. I have never seen any behavior that leads me to think she is arrogant, or anything other than a decent human being. She is obviously devoted to her family, and I think her focus on childhood wellness is admirable, and necessary. And as for the obsession that she is overweight, I just don't see it. She looks healthier than most of the nation. What is the big deal? And as for the name calling, have other first ladies been subjected to the derogatory nicknames?

I couldn't bring myself to actually post this new Breitbart cartoon here, I think it's offensive. The comments are interesting though.

http://biggovernment...o-your-betters/

http://politicaltick...ter-in-cartoon/

#2 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

Recall Hilary catching some of the stuff , but not to the degree Michelle seems to be taking it.

#3 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

I just don't get the Right's apparent disdain for Michelle Obama. I have never seen any behavior that leads me to think she is arrogant, or anything other than a decent human being. She is obviously devoted to her family, and I think her focus on childhood wellness is admirable, and necessary. And as for the obsession that she is overweight, I just don't see it. She looks healthier than most of the nation. What is the big deal? And as for the name calling, have other first ladies been subjected to the derogatory nicknames?

I couldn't bring myself to actually post this new Breitbart cartoon here, I think it's offensive. The comments are interesting though.

http://biggovernment...o-your-betters/

http://politicaltick...ter-in-cartoon/

I wouldn't matter what she or her husband do, the Right has made up its collective mind to mock and degrade EVERYTHING. Michelle conducts herself with grace and poise. She's not arrogant or aloof and seems to have her values in the right place. I'm proud to have them as our first couple, representing us out in the world. As far as her pushing for better foods in the schools and restaurants, people seem to forget the government did the same thing right after WWII. That's when they started giving school kids surplus farm products like milk, raisins, apples and oranges for snacks. They did this because the government found out too many young men couldn't pass the physical to be in the military due to conditions brought on from poor nutrition. (If I remember correctly, it was one in every five that had rickets.) Schools back then started sending government pamphlets home to parents that told about good nutrition and what to feed your kids.

I honestly feel that a good share of the people---maybe 15%---who hate the Obama's just can't get used to seeing a black couple in such a powerful position.

#4 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

They hate her because she's intelligent, educated, kind and most of all...black.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#5 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

They hate her because she's intelligent, educated, kind and most of all...black.

I'm sorry dude, but the right doesn't dislike her because she's black. That's a cheapshot and totally unfair. I'm sure some racist exist who dislike her on that basis alone, but their political affiliation has nothing to do with it. You're taking descriptions that everyone agrees are good things (save her skin color which should not even be considered) and just saying republicans hate her because of it. Colin Powell met all those descriptions and the republicans nearly begged him to run for the presidency. It wasn't until he endorsed Obama that he lost face with some conservatives, and the color of his skin had nothing to do with it.

If you dislike the Republicans ideals, great. But don't classify the right as a bunch of racists because it makes your opinions much easier to defend.
Beta male, and chubby incel doing what I do best...

#6 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'm sorry dude, but the right doesn't dislike her because she's black. That's a cheapshot and totally unfair. I'm sure some racist exist who dislike her on that basis alone, but their political affiliation has nothing to do with it. You're taking descriptions that everyone agrees are good things (save her skin color which should not even be considered) and just saying republicans hate her because of it. Colin Powell met all those descriptions and the republicans nearly begged him to run for the presidency. It wasn't until he endorsed Obama that he lost face with some conservatives, and the color of his skin had nothing to do with it.

If you dislike the Republicans ideals, great. But don't classify the right as a bunch of racists because it makes your opinions much easier to defend.

Ok, then do you have an idea as to the relentless childish remarks toward Michelle? Everything from her weight (how anyone can think she's fat is beyond me), her clothing or her face to her campaign to knock out childhood obesity.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#7 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

I don't follow tabloid sites, so no, I don't hear people talk about her weight. And while I personally haven't put much thought or research into her obseity campaign, there are presumably controversial measures she is advocating. Even if that is as simple as requiring schools to provide low fat foods. Either way, none of that or any critique of her has anything to do with her intellect or race.

#8 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

Well I don't know that you could call some of these shows and publications tabloids. Limbaugh has been very vocal in his disparaging remarks about her. Also look at the comments at the end of this Media Matters article.

Here is the Let's Move Campaign. What could possibly be perceived as controversial when encouraging people to feed their children healthier foods, and get more exercise?

One really hopes it's not a racially motivated issue, but I don't know......

#9 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Well I don't know that you could call some of these shows and publications tabloids. Limbaugh has been very vocal in his disparaging remarks about her. Also look at the comments at the end of this Media Matters article.

Here is the Let's Move Campaign. What could possibly be perceived as controversial when encouraging people to feed their children healthier foods, and get more exercise?

It's the same when people were all up in arms about Obama going into the school to encourage education to the kids. "OH GOD NO!!!!!!! Why would he push education onto my child? Only I have the right to do that. I'm so sick of these two pushing their agenda & telling us what to do". It's just laughable & absurd.

#10 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

It's the same when people were all up in arms about Obama going into the school to encourage education to the kids. "OH GOD NO!!!!!!! Why would he push education onto my child? Only I have the right to do that. I'm so sick of these two pushing their agenda & telling us what to do". It's just laughable & absurd.

Didn't Bush pass No Child Left Behind, which was the greatest educational reform since the department of education was founded? Didn't Democrats scream and yell that it was unfair for the federal government to intrude on States' educational system?

#11 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Didn't Bush pass No Child Left Behind, which was the greatest educational reform since the department of education was founded? Didn't Democrats scream and yell that it was unfair for the federal government to intrude on States' educational system?

Well now Flagg, can you tell me how the president encouraging children to do their best & to strive to succeed is intruding on any educational system?

#12 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

Actually, I think they were "screaming and yelling" because Bush's No Child Left Behind was an unfunded mandate and because of that it's been a huge failure of a program.

#13 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Actually, I think they were "screaming and yelling" because Bush's No Child Left Behind was an unfunded mandate and because of that it's been a huge failure of a program.

That's what I was thinking. What I remember hearing about that program was that it was a big ole failure.

#14 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Well now Flagg, can you tell me how the president encouraging children to do their best & to strive to succeed is intruding on any educational system?

I can't cause it doesn't. I strongly support any initiative that encourages students to learn. It's the means in how that initiative is implemented that I may disagree with.

#15 PERM BANNED

PERM BANNED

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

That's what I was thinking. What I remember hearing about that program was that it was a big ole failure.

Last I heard there were significant increases in test scores and standing among America's students.

http://en.wikipedia....ild_Left_Behind

Seems it was pretty successful to me. Funding increased greatly after its passage and our reading and math scores increased. The only major critique of it is standarized testing, which is a whole other debate of its own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users