98 replies to this topic

#1 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

I know we have some educators amongst us. What do you guys think of "unschooling"? It seems to be gathering steam. I wonder how well kids from these types of environments will survive in the big-bad world.

#2 LISA

LISA

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

sorry but I think .... They Won't

im a University drop out...look where it has gotten me...NOWHEREPosted Image

#3 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

I know we have some educators amongst us. What do you guys think of "unschooling"? It seems to be gathering steam. I wonder how well kids from these types of environments will survive in the big-bad world.

Never heard of it until today, but sounds terrible.
Show me your dragon magic

#4 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Oh sorry, good point! Posted Image

http://www.unschooling.com/

"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Unschooling

Unschooling is a range of educational philosophies and practices centered on allowing children to learn through their natural life experiences, including child directed play, game play, household responsibilities, work experience, and social interqaction, rather than through a more traditional school curriculum. Unschooling encourages exploration of activities led by the children themselves, facilitated by the adults. Unschooling differs from conventional schooling principally in the thesis that standard curricula and conventional grading methods, as well as other features of traditional schooling, are counterproductive to the goal of maximizing the education of each child.

#5 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

I did notice the unschooling web sites filled with many errors! Posted Image

#6 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Kids are smart but they aren't focused. Sounds like a bunch of 60s hippy bullshit to me. School isn't ideal for every kid but the resources aren't available to fit every kid's individual need. And educational outcomes tend to be better in countries with more traditional approach.

#7 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

^^ plus you can do that kind of stuff at home, that's what we do with our daughter.

#8 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Oh sorry, good point! Posted Image

http://www.unschooling.com/

"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Unschooling

Unschooling is a range of educational philosophies and practices centered on allowing children to learn through their natural life experiences, including child directed play, game play, household responsibilities, work experience, and social interqaction, rather than through a more traditional school curriculum. Unschooling encourages exploration of activities led by the children themselves, facilitated by the adults. Unschooling differs from conventional schooling principally in the thesis that standard curricula and conventional grading methods, as well as other features of traditional schooling, are counterproductive to the goal of maximizing the education of each child.

Sounds like constructivism with less structure and guidance. Constructivism is solid, though I'd be curious what "facilitated by adults" means...it could mean virtually anything.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#9 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

I agree, most families do that stuff to a varying degree. I do sometimes get a bit frustrated with the focus on the answer and not the process, but hopefully that will change as we progress. My thoughts are it's easier to supplement and spice-up a traditional education with non-traditional extra-curricular activities and pursuits than vice versa.

#10 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

Sounds like constructivism with less structure and guidance. Constructivism is solid, though I'd be curious what "facilitated by adults" means...it could mean virtually anything.

That's a good point. I know some of the unschoolers live this philosophy, so no boundaries or rules at all.

#11 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

My thoughts are it's easier to supplement and spice-up a traditional education with non-traditional extra-curricular activities and pursuits than vice versa.

Totally agree. We have 25-1 at school vs 1-2 at home. If you care, parents can supplement education in many ways, but generally aren't qualified to be primary educator - I'm certainly not qualified with my 7 year old and I'm a professional educator. Guess at least I'm aware of my limitations.

#12 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

Totally agree. We have 25-1 at school vs 1-2 at home. If you care, parents can supplement education in many ways, but generally aren't qualified to be primary educator - I'm certainly not qualified with my 7 year old and I'm a professional educator. Guess at least I'm aware of my limitations.

I'm just curious if you went with public or private school?

#13 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Public, but selective

#14 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

I hear you.

#15 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Kids are smart but they aren't focused. Sounds like a bunch of 60s hippy bullshit to me. School isn't ideal for every kid but the resources aren't available to fit every kid's individual need. And educational outcomes tend to be better in countries with more traditional approach.

great post, kids need some kind of focus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users