98 replies to this topic

#16 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

Totally agree. We have 25-1 at school vs 1-2 at home. If you care, parents can supplement education in many ways, but generally aren't qualified to be primary educator - I'm certainly not qualified with my 7 year old and I'm a professional educator. Guess at least I'm aware of my limitations.

Are you familiar with Odyssey of the Mind or Destination Imagination? They are virtually identical organizations. Essentially it is creative problem solving as a team with no parent input. It would be worth enquiring if either of those programs are in your school. I started up an Odyssey of the Mind program at my kids school this year, and we compete in our regional finals this weekend. It has been a great experience, as the kids don't usually get to do much creative problem solving, so this is a great experience.

#17 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

Not familiar. School is great for enrichment, extra programs etc - not least because PTA raises $1m/year for school of approx 600 kids. Daughter got to play a theramin on stage on her 6th birthday in K ......some place called Carnegie Hall? :D
Show me your dragon magic

#18 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

^ ^ ^ Wow! What a great experience for her, and awesome for you guys.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU[/url]

#19 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Not familiar. School is great for enrichment, extra programs etc - not least because PTA raises $1m/year for school of approx 600 kids. Daughter got to play a theramin on stage on her 6th birthday in K ......some place called Carnegie Hall? :D

ahhh what a treat.

#20 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

^ ^ ^ Wow! What a great experience for her, and awesome for you guys.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU[/url]

DAAAAAAAAMN.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#21 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Video is great. Only bad thing about CG story is we didn't know in advance and neither of us were there. No one got pix, cameras were banned but we would have take anyway - so no evidence :(

#22 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

I just read the following in a paper submitted by a student:

One of the mainreasons the United States hasn’t been invaded is that the other countriesrealize just how many Americans have personal weapons. They know that if they invade the US, theywill not only be fighting our military, but also the civilians. If the gun ban is passed, every nation in theworld would know and would have no worries trying to invade the United States.

So...the US isn't constantly invaded, not because of our having the world's biggest military or friendly neighboring countries, but because foreign leaders are concerned about their militaries getting mugged by a couple of Latin Kings or the costs of door-to-door urban warfare against the citizens of Tuscaloosa.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#23 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Did they really repeat the whole thing?

#24 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

One of the mainreasons the United States hasn’t been invaded is that the other countriesrealize just how many Americans have personal weapons. They know that if they invade the US, theywill not only be fighting our military, but also the civilians. If the gun ban is passed, every nation in theworld would know and would have no worries trying to invade the United States.

So...the US isn't constantly invaded, not because of our having the world's biggest military or friendly neighboring countries, but because foreign leaders are concerned about their militaries getting mugged by a couple of Latin Kings or the costs of door-to-door urban warfare against the citizens of Tuscaloosa.

My wife wants to know what level course this is?

#25 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

2nd Grade

#26 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

Let me guess. The student is in college on a RNA or Tea Party scholarship.

#27 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

My wife wants to know what level course this is?

Sister burn the temple

#28 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

So did you add any notes to that by chance?

#29 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

So did you add any notes to that by chance?

I did. I try to avoid criticizing their beliefs and instead, usually, note that they need to back their claims with some evidence if they want to make a persuasive argument. Of course, there is no evidence to back such a claim.
Sister burn the temple

#30 cousin it

cousin it

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

^^ I have seen that argument before. Maybe in some NRA literature???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users