252 replies to this topic

#46 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

"... she was granted a unique platform in front of which to spew her venom for personal responsibility: a congressional committee."

So wait. What were the men who testified to the congressional committee doing? Were they also "spewing venom"? Not to mention, what the hell's so "unique" about testifying before a congressional committee? Thousands of people have done it. I can't even read any further, that piece is such obvious bullshit fucktudity.

Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

I guess I just want to see the entire argument that is being made. I can skate by "flowery" language to a point. But I have done just what you did on other articles I have tried to read though. Especially if it is a writer I have read before and can see where they are going from a mile away.

#47 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

What?

Birth control is free because people won't have babies.

#48 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

"Her claim that it costs many of her fellow law students up to $1,000 a year for birth control is either blatantly false, or outlandishly ridiculous. As Jimmie Bise tweeted, “either her argument is crap or she’s having sex with anything that can’t outrun her.” Condoms are $7 a box, pills can be bought for $20 a month. The amount of sex that Sandra Fluke must be having to necessitate $1,000 a year in contraception makes one wonder how she manages to actually attend law school. Either Fluke and her fellow students are, er, indulging themselves five times a day every day of the year, or she’s lying. The smart money is on the latter."

The price of oral contraceptives vary greatly depending on which one is prescibed by her physician.

And again a dumbfuck who has no idea regarding human biology, or how oral contraceptives work. A woman takes one pill a day, just one. It doesn't matter if she sleeps with one thousand men, 13 women, and a donkey, she still only takes ONE FUCKING PILL A DAY!

He also included condoms which are good for one use. You can buy a whole bunch of condoms for $1,000 a year. If you went through that many then you have had a large quantity of relations.

#49 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I find this whole debate amusing. Here are people saying "shouldn't my insurance cover birth control, so that I can have easy, free access to those things that will allow me to practice safe sex". The right denounces them as acting entitled. Should they NOT practice safe sex, and have many children who would then get them tax breaks and, perhaps, greater access to government programs, the right would denounce them as a drain on the system and, wait for it, entitled.

Thus, we have a conundrum. To the right, women are little more than an entitlement waiting to happen. They either act entitled to control their sexuality or create more little entitled people. This, I'm guessing, is why so many on the right are closeted homosexuals...no entitlements come out the back door.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#50 Jill

Jill

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

I guess I just want to see the entire argument that is being made. I can skate by "flowery" language to a point. But I have done just what you did on other articles I have tried to read though. Especially if it is a writer I have read before and can see where they are going from a mile away.

Birth control is free because people won't have babies.

I have no idea what either of these two things mean.

I should also point out that there's a significant difference between mere "flowery" language for the sake of prose, and "flowery" language that indicates a lack of facts.

I find this whole debate amusing. Here are people saying "shouldn't my insurance cover birth control, so that I can have easy, free access to those things that will allow me to practice safe sex". The right denounces them as acting entitled. Should they NOT practice safe sex, and have many children who would then get them tax breaks and, perhaps, greater access to government programs, the right would denounce them as a drain on the system and, wait for it, entitled.

Thus, we have a conundrum. To the right, women are little more than an entitlement waiting to happen. They either act entitled to control their sexuality or create more little entitled people. This, I'm guessing, is why so many on the right are closeted homosexuals...no entitlements come out the back door.

Okay, that's hilarious.

#51 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

I hope you don't brainwash your students with this crap!
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#52 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I hope you don't brainwash your students with this crap!

Believe it or not, I don't brainwash my students. I'd rather play Devil's Advocate. I've had students thank me for taking a balanced and fair minded approach.

I don't mention this often because, according to the right, I'm a de facto communist out to warp and twist impressionable young minds and, should I disprove this allegation, I know they'll only shout it louder or replace it with something higher up the absurdity scale.

I do occasionally shake my head as I give to some budding conservative the tools to make better arguments in defense of their positions. However, I am bolstered by the belief that the more evidence they seek out, the less they can justify being conservative in the first place. Unfortunately, this is probably lost on some, like the girl who claimed that the US doesn't get invaded because of civilian gun ownership. *sigh*
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#53 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Unfortunately, this is probably lost on some, like the girl who claimed that the US doesn't get invaded because of civilian gun ownership. *sigh*

Some things you can not fix.

#54 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

That was no apology.

That's not the point.

#55 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

What really pisses me off is that, depending on the source, between 50 and 87% of Catholic women use birth control, and yet this ridiculous discussion is taking place. I hate organized religion.

#56 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

The Biggest Beneficiary of the Contraception Mandate? Drug Companies

#57 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

rushshut.jpg

#58 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Rush Limbaugh’s latest misogynistic tirade against Georgetown University Law Student Sandra Fluke may be the last straw for many of the shock jock’s corporate sponsors. Thousands of angry customers have been inundating dozens of Limbaugh’s corporate sponsors, demanding that they cut ties with the program.

So far, Sleep Number, The Sleep Train, Quicken Loans, Legal Zoom, Citrix, Carbonite, ProFlowers, Tax Resolution, AOL, Bonobos, Sears, Allstate Insurance, Sensa, Bare Escentuals, Vitacost, Hadeed Carpet, Thompson Creek Windows, PolyCom, Service Magic, AccuQuote Life Insurance, Geico, John Deere, Stamps.com, St. Vincent’s Medical Center, Bethesda Sedation Dentistry, Cascades Dental, Philadelphia Orchestra, Goodwill Industries, Heart & Body Extract, Netflix, Downeast Energy, Capitol One, JCPenney, Matrix Direct,and Reputation Rhino have pulled ads from the program, and several others are considering following their lead.

ThinkProgress is collecting reactions from social media sites like Twitter and Facebook on Storify. Here’s a look at some responses so far:

http://thinkprogress...gh-advertisers/

#59 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I think this may kill the female vote for the GOP for the general election to be honest. They tried to make this about "an attack on religion" and got bogged down in this disaster instead.

#60 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I agree. I think the fact that no one from the GOP came out strongly against what Limbaugh said speaks volumes to female voters. The reaction from the candidates could not have been more tepid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users