#16 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'll certainly give this a listen when it drops. Song titles are lame, but anything associated with Dio has lame song titles.

I mean..."Neon Knights", "Lady Evil", and the song after which this offshoot band is now naming itself, "Heaven and Hell"...all cheesy. But they're also on a killer album, so if the music rocks I'll ignore lame titles.

Me too, but that album is nearly 30 years old - pretty much everything they've done since 1983/4 (together or apart) has had cheesier song titles and sucked hard.

I'm actually fond of TYR, but not much else in the period you specified (thought their post 2000 "Past Lives" live is worth a listen). I kind of treat Sabbath like Guns...don't expect them to constantly do the same thing. They experimented a lot, and some of it sucked, but you can't pigeon hole them as a band.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#17 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

Past Lives is shows from their peak years '73 and '75. That stuff is incomparable. I was a huge Sabbath fan in school - knew of the Ozzy stuff from friends older siblings, but got into the Dio stuff when it was current. Stayed a huge fan through Born Again - helped that Gillan is my favourite singer. After that it was 20 years of dutifully buying the albums only to be let down, even Dehumanizer was a disappointment. Actually the best thing they did in that time was the Eternal Idol album with Ray Gillen (later of Badlands with Jake Lee) but they scrapped it and rerecorded a very inferior version with Tony Martin. I don't think the experimented at all after Ozzy left to be honest, the early Dio stuff and Gillan stuff was good but after that it's all very ordinary uninspired metal to my ears.
Show me your dragon magic

#18 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

Past Lives is shows from their peak years '73 and '75. That stuff is incomparable. I was a huge Sabbath fan in school - knew of the Ozzy stuff from friends older siblings, but got into the Dio stuff when it was current. Stayed a huge fan through Born Again - helped that Gillan is my favourite singer. After that it was 20 years of dutifully buying the albums only to be let down, even Dehumanizer was a disappointment. Actually the best thing they did in that time was the Eternal Idol album with Ray Gillen (later of Badlands with Jake Lee) but they scrapped it and rerecorded a very inferior version with Tony Martin. I don't think the experimented at all after Ozzy left to be honest, the early Dio stuff and Gillan stuff was good but after that it's all very ordinary uninspired metal to my ears.

Scratch "experimental" and insert a comment about changing styles in my prior comment. Tried to apply one word to thirty years...didn't work so well.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

#19 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

http://profile.myspa...endID=144795765

Clip from the new H&H album. Musically it's pretty good, but Dio just annoys me these days.

#20 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

http://www.noisecree...-song-premiere/

Full version of new song.

#21 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

Checkin this out now thanks. Edit: Kinda cheesy but I'm diggin' it.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#22 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Clip from the new H&H album. Musically it's pretty good, but Dio just annoys me these days.

He annoyed me most of the time back in the day too.

#23 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

He annoyed me most of the time back in the day too.

I started to get annoyed around Sacred Heart. Now it's just verbal duschcreme.

#24 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

I'm enjoying it, all three of me.

#25 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

After finishing several heralded world tours as Heaven & Hell last summer, Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice were tighter than ever before, both musically and personally. Agreeing that it would be a shame to stop making music together at tour's end, the quartet began writing, first in England at Iommi's home studio and later in Los Angeles at Dio's studio. "The band had gotten too good to just walk away," Dio says. "We wanted to show people that we were still capable of giving them new music that measured up to what we'd done in the past." With that goal in mind, the band once again converged on Rockfield Studios in Wales last winter, the same place they used 17 years earlier to record their last album, Dehumanizer. The result is the long awaited new album THE DEVIL YOU KNOW, featuring 10 soon-to-be-classic tracks from the Dio-fronted version of Black Sabbath. The highly anticipated set arrives on April 28 from Rhino for a suggested list price of $18.98 (physical) and $9.99 (digital). It took less than three weeks to finish the album, with most of the songs only needing a couple of takes. "It was good to play them live in the studio. It keeps you on edge," Iommi says. "I mean, somewhere along the line we were gonna have to play them live; might as well start in the studio." Butler adds: "We've learned from the past that you can kill a song doing it over and over. The first Sabbath albums were done in two or three days. Technically they weren't great, but vibe-wise they were great. If you capture that feeling, that's all you need." "Bible Black," the epic first single, begins with Iommi on acoustic guitar behind Dio's plaintive wail before the rhythm shifts to a menacing stomp for the rest of this dark tale about a book of sinister scriptures. One of the first songs written for the album, Dio says it established a tone for the rest of the album. "When you start off with a blockbuster like that, it makes the rest of the album so much easier because it gives you a benchmark to measure the other songs against." Iommi proves he hasn't lost the ability to inspire six-string envy, unleashing riffs like a pack of rabid hellhounds on "Atom And Evil," "Fear," "Neverwhere," and "Eating The Cannibals," a tune about doing more than biting the hand that feeds. Butler and Appice slow the pace while ramping up the intensity on "Follow The Tears" and "Double The Pain" and "Breaking Into Heaven," the latter diverging from its glacial procession for Dio's majestic chorus about fallen angels planning an attack on paradise. THE DEVIL YOU KNOW Track Listing: 1. "Atom And Evil" 2. "Fear" 3. "Bible Black" 4. "Double The Pain" 5. "Rock And Roll Angel" 6. "The Turn Of The Screw" 7. "Eating The Cannibals" 8. "Follow The Tears" 9. "Neverwhere" 10. "Breaking Into Heaven"

#26 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

http://www.jpc.de/jp...ow/hnum/6527349

streaming clips of all new songs

#27 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Which ones do you like?

#28 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

Which ones do you like?

Haven't had a chance to listen yet, just passing on the link. I suspect I won't like many of them but i'll try to listen openminded.

#29 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

Oh my hell, some of these lyrics are so bad they are like Spinal Tap.

#30 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

http://www.jpc.de/jp...ow/hnum/6527349

streaming clips of all new songs

Many grassy asses to you.