Alien abduction, huh?

#48 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

Austria's Mulatschag TV recently conducted an interview with ALTER BRIDGE guitarist Mark Tremonti. You can now watch the chat below.

When asked about his band friendship with VAN HALEN bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, Tremonti said, "We played with VAN HALEN years and years ago at Madison Square Garden and Palace in Detroit. The first time I saw Wolfgang, he was just a littleā€¦ probably five-year-old kid or six-year-old kid. Eddie [Wolfgang's father and VAN HALEN guitarist] that day gave me one of his guitars, so I got to know Eddie. Then years went by and Wolfgang ended up being a fan of ALTER BRIDGE, so we got to know him through ALTER BRIDGE. And Wolfgang invited us to go see soundcheck when VAN HALEN did a tour a couple of years ago, and we were the only in there, so it was quite a treat. And then recently I was in Los Angeles and Wolfgang invited me to his Dad's house and I got to go to 5150 studios and watch Eddie and Alex [Van Halen] and Wolfgang play their new record from front to back. So I was one of the only people who have heard the new VAN HALEN. It was incredible."

VAN HALEN's long-awaited new studio album in tentatively due in the fall, which is when the band is also expected to hit the road in support of the effort.

http://www.roadrunne...wsitemID=159528

Sounds like this album is leaving pipe dream territory and crossing over into reality.

I'm on the fence with this as VH has sucked for years and EVH is less productive than Axl. Roth hasn't created anything decent in years either.

This will either kick ass or be a complete fiasco. No middle ground.

When they reunited I said if they did a new album they should call it 1985. Doubt they do it but would be cool.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#49 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:38 AM

1985? I miss Michael Anthony's presence - the loss of him is a traves....well it sucks. However, I love the fact that he was replaced by Wolfie VH. What a great concept and who better? (I think anyway. We'll see what the new album sounds like - that's with Roth, right?)

#50 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

This will either kick ass or be a complete fiasco. No middle ground.

I think it's inevitable it will kick ass and be a complete fiasco depending on who you ask, and regardless of the album itself. I'm guessing it will at least have some merit to it, since EVH doesn't need to make an album, and it's taken so long, but it will be pretty devoid of anything resembling spontaneity as a result. I wonder how many people will even care after all this time?
Show me your dragon magic

#51 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Sammy Hagar proves his B-List status once more with his book. So desperate for his Van Halen to be better than the Van Halen.....sad.

#52 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

I had forgotten that they hadn't made an album for that long until reading that article.

I'm really looking forward to it, but I've been let down by so many things lately, lol. We will see! I could not imagine the pressure to create something stellar with this group of guys. People have been waiting a long time for it.

As soon as the thing leaks though somebody post here in this thread! Posted Image
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#53 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

1985?

Last Roth VH album was 1984 so its kinda like picking up where they left off.

I also agree that Anthony not being involved is terrible as he was a crucial part of their sound.

I wonder how many people will even care after all this time?

Good question and the fact they haven't hyped it up since the reunion could hurt it tremendously. Unless it has a huge hit, it will not connect with a young audience which means it'll sell decent the first week due to hardcores buying it and then quickly vanish from the charts.

In this day and age whether or not your album is good or bad, you gotta have that one massive, catchy single to grab the world by the balls.

#54 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

I wonder how many people will even care after all this time?

Good question and the fact they haven't hyped it up since the reunion could hurt it tremendously. Unless it has a huge hit, it will not connect with a young audience which means it'll sell decent the first week due to hardcores buying it and then quickly vanish from the charts.

In this day and age whether or not your album is good or bad, you gotta have that one massive, catchy single to grab the world by the balls.

I know they've had more than one aborted attempt at a new album with Roth in the last 10-15 years so it's understandable they would keep it quiet until it's done and they are happy with releasing it. But it will be interesting to see how much free reign Roth is given to promote and hype, I suspect it will be little based on what he wasn't allowed to do for the 07/08 reunion tour which is too bad.

#55 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

Was he muzzled back then?
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#56 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Was he muzzled back then?

Definitely, he certainly wasn't the DLR we were familiar with, I don't think they even did any interviews did they?

#57 artcinco

artcinco

Inactivist

• Admin
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationZones of moisture...

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

If new Roth album flops/band disintegrates again then there is still time for another Hagar Reunion, hopefully with EVH not in Amy Winehouse mode and Michael Anthony back in the fold. ;-)

sammy-hagar-van-halen.jpg
Why do you read that kind of crap, Art? Seriously, I don't get it.

#58 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

I'd rather eat my own head that listen to one second of another Van Hagar reunion. Though I'd rather aliens ate Hagar's head over both those options.

#59 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

But it will be interesting to see how much free reign Roth is given to promote and hype, I suspect it will be little based on what he wasn't allowed to do for the 07/08 reunion tour which is too bad.

Yeah that was the most unfortunate thing regarding the reunion. Roth was kept on an incredibly short leash and had people not been waiting on a VH reunion for 20+ years, it would have fizzled out due to lack of promo. I still don't understand why they had to silence him. He is a natural at that sort of thing and could have brought so much excitement to the whole thing. While the reunion was a success, it was barely a popcorn fart in pop culture. Roth would have changed that.

If new Roth album flops/band disintegrates again then there is still time for another Hagar Reunion

I'd rather spend an eternity in hell than hear Hagar with Van Halen again.

#60 lynn

lynn

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Michigan

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

There's always this alternative:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2nhSAJ2ns[/url]

1 user(s) are reading this topic