86 replies to this topic

#16 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

Well if they were smart they'd show the bad guys really getting screwed in the end. The ending to the first one was rather ambiguous, it just showed Fox walking up the steps to the courthouse. These days, since 401ks have been decimated, people will want to see justice me thinks.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#17 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

There are so many directions they can go with it. If you haven't seen Boiler room go rent it . sorta like Wall S.

#18 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

I think they should so a Michael Douglas character a la "Falling Down" and set him loose on Wall Street.
You Commie, Homo Loving Sons of Guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

I like it, it's certainly second to Wall Street, but I still liked it. Actually I should watch it again as I haven't seen it in a while.

#20 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think Charlie is happy doing the TV gigs because it's steady work and and it's a regular day instead of a long drawn out movie set grind. Besides he's close to his kids and the show is pretty funny. Jay Mohr has also turned to the regular TV gig because the regularity of schedules and a steady pay check and both of them being stars of their shows, assures they won't end up on the editing/cut floor.
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#21 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

I do find it interesting seeing a lot of 80's stars taking to the TV: Lowe, Spader, Sheen etc.

#22 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:48 AM

From Wiki on the original: Origins After the success of Platoon, Stone wanted film school friend and Los Angeles screenwriter Stanley Weiser to research and write a screenplay about quiz show scandals in the 1950s.[1] During a story conference, Stone suggested making a film about Wall Street instead. The director pitched the premise of two investment partners getting involved in questionable financial dealings, using each other, and they are tailed by a prosecutor as in Crime and Punishment.[1] The director had been thinking about this kind of a movie as early as 1981[2] and was inspired by his father, Lou Stone, a broker during the Great Depression at Hayden Stone.[3] The filmmaker knew a New York businessman who was making millions and working long days putting together deals all over the world. This man started making mistakes that cost him everything. Stone remembers that the "story frames what happens in my movie, which is basically a Pilgrim’s Progress of a boy who is seduced and corrupted by the allure of easy money. And in the third act, he sets out to redeem himself".[2] Stone asked Weiser to read Crime and Punishment but the writer found that its story did not mix well with their own. Stone then asked Weiser to read The Great Gatsby for material that they could use but it was not the right fit either.[1] Weiser had no prior knowledge of the financial world and immersed himself in researching the world of stock trading, junk bonds and corporate takeovers. He and Stone spent three weeks visiting brokerage houses and interviewing investors.[1] Screenplay Weiser wrote the first draft, initially called Greed, with Stone writing another draft. Originally, the lead character was a young Jewish broker named Freddie Goldsmith but Stone changed it to Bud Fox to avoid the stereotype that Wall Street was controlled by Jews.[2] Reportedly, Gordon Gekko is said to be a composite of several people: Owen Morrisey, who was involved in a $20 million insider trading scandal in 1985, Dennis Levine, Ivan Boesky,[4] corporate raider Carl Icahn, art collector Asher Edelman, agent Michael Ovitz, and Stone himself.[1] For example, the famous "Greed is good" line was based on a speech by Boesky where he said, "Greed is right", that Stone read and it stuck with him.[5] According to Edward R. Pressman, producer of the film, "Originally, there was no one individual who Gekko was modeled on", he adds, "But Gekko was partly Milken". Also, Pressman has said that the character of Sir Larry Wildman was "modeled on Jimmy Goldsmith".[6] According to Weiser, Gekko’s style of speaking was inspired by Stone. "When I was writing some of the dialogue I would listen to Oliver on the phone and sometimes he talks very rapid-fire, the way Gordon Gekko does".[2] Stone cites as influences on his approach to business, the novels of Upton Sinclair, Sinclair Lewis and Victor Hugo, and the films of Paddy Chayefsky because they were able to make a complicated subject clear to the audience.[7] Stone set the film in 1985 because insider trading scandals culminated in 1985 and 1986.[7] Casting Stone met with Tom Cruise about playing Bud Fox, but the director had already committed to Charlie Sheen for the role.[2] Stone liked the "stiffness" of Sheen's acting style and used it to convey the naive nature of Bud who looks up to Gekko.[8] Michael Douglas had just come off heroic roles like the one in Romancing the Stone and was looking for something dark and edgy.[2] The studio wanted Warren Beatty to play Gekko but he was not interested. Stone initially wanted Richard Gere but the actor passed, so the director went with Douglas despite having been advised by others in Hollywood not to cast him.[2] Stone remembers, "I was warned by everyone in Hollywood that Michael couldn't act, that he was a producer more than an actor and would spend all his time in his trailer on the phone". But the director found out that "when he's acting he gives it his all".[9] The director says that he saw "that villain quality" in the actor and always thought he was a smart businessman.[10] The actor remembers that when he first read the screenplay, "I thought it was a great part. It was a long script, and there were some incredibly long and intense monologues to open with. I’d never seen a screenplay where there were two or three pages of single-spaced type for a monologue. I thought, whoa! I mean, it was unbelievable".[2] For research, he read profiles of corporate raiders T. Boone Pickens and Carl Icahn.[2] Stone gave Charlie Sheen the choice of Jack Lemmon or Martin Sheen to play his father in the film and the young actor picked his dad. The elder Sheen related to the moral sense of his character.[8] Stone cast Daryl Hannah as Bud Fox’s materialistic girlfriend, but felt that she was never happy with the role and did not know why she accepted it. He tried to explain the character to Hannah repeatedly and thought that the materialism of the character conflicted with the actress' idealism and it really bothered her.[8] The director was aware early on that she was not right for it. "Daryl Hannah was not happy doing the role and I should have let her go. All my crew wanted to get rid of her after one day of shooting. My pride was such that I kept saying I was going to make it work".[2] Stone also had difficulties with Sean Young, who made her opinions known that Hannah should be fired and that she should play that role instead. Young would show up to the set late and unprepared. She did not get along with Charlie Sheen, which caused further friction on the set. In retrospect, Stone felt that Young was right and he should have swapped Hannah's role with hers.[2] Stone admits that he had "some problems" with Sean Young but was not willing to confirm or deny rumors that she walked off with all of her costumes when she completed filming.[10]

#23 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

By Garth Franklin Wednesday June 3rd 2009 09:23AM Bardem Joins Stone's "Wall Street" Sequel Javier Bardem has joined the cast of Oliver Stone’s "Wall Street 2" says Deadline Hollywood Daily. Michael Douglas returns as Gordon Gekko, and Shia LaBeouf plays a young trader engaged to marry Gekko’s daughter in the follow-up to Stone's 1987 feature. According to the site, the story is set 21 years later in the second half of 2008 when Gekko sees the financial crisis coming but is focused on his estranged daughter (still to be cast) and her upcoming nuptuals. Bardem will play a hedge fund manager who's dealings have caused the suicide of the mentor of Gekko's new son-in-law (LaBeouf). Shooting kicks off August 10th for a February 2010 release.

#24 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

Holy crap man, don't mess it up!!!!

#25 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

Dammit I wish Bardem would kill LaBeouf instead.

#26 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

That dudes acting will more then make up for the transformers kids shit acting.

#27 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

I'm so pumped about this. But why won't Sheen come back??? Douglas > Sheen, so wtf?

#28 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

probable has more to do with Sheen having to film two and a half men during this shooting time.

#29 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yea, maybe they delisted his ass?

#30 Bandita

Bandita

Moderators

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Maybe he just don't wanna!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users