• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • LocationWhere ever the Boss tells me to be!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

Tell that America's 401k's....all 60% that's left of it.

=)

Maybe you can get Bud Fox to tel lGordon Gekko that.

#62 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

Fox has been MIA, since his last coke and hooker binge in Vegas...sometime in late 08.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#63 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

I could have sworn I seen him working in the cell phone area at Wallyworld the other day.

#64 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it. You've got that killer instinct. Stick around pal, I've still got a lot to teach you.

#65 Macker

Macker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

Gordon unzips fly...
You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.

#66 Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:10 AM

Unfortunately it sounds like this is gonna be a shit sandwich, and I had high hopes for it. Before that new release date hits, this will likely wind up going straight to DVD.
Surprise, surprise, surprise!

#67 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:37 AM

Unfortunately it sounds like this is gonna be a shit sandwich, and I had high hopes for it. Before that new release date hits, this will likely wind up going straight to DVD.

Shit sandwich maybe, but straight to DVD? Naaaah.

#68 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

The film could be the biggest piece of shit since showgirls and still make $ 50 million at the domestic Box Office.

#69 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

'Wall Street 2' review -- a sneak peak from Cannes Film Festival

Douglas and LaBeouf in Wall Street: Money Never SleepsCANNES (May 14) -- If the idea of watching men in suits squander our money and flush us down the financial toilet again sounds repugnant, then you might be pleasantly surprised by the new film "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps." Director Oliver Stone's recession-fueled sequel premiered Friday at the Cannes Film Festival, applying Hollywood gloss to a crisis that is all too real for most of us.

Gussied up with fancy suits, lustful looks at skyscrapers and a tale of lost fathers, "Wall Street" No. 2 manages to be easily digestible between the snack of your choice and the filmmaker's message: "I'm confused, as are many people in the room, as to whether capitalism can work," Stone said Friday at the press conference.

The movie, opening Sept. 24 in the states, will stoke your anger. It might even provide an outlet. Your gutted 401(k)s? It would take millions of them to match the sticker price on a Goya painting smashed by the new villain, played by Josh Brolin.

The pink slip from the job that was to provide your golden umbrella? Your dearly departed salary and bennies kinda pale next to the $1.4 million bonus that Shia LaBeouf's idealistic and money-grubbing Jake gets for nothing, don't they?

Then just when you've had it with the replay of why you can't afford your kid's tuition this year, "Wall Street" cuts to the flesh and blood of the matter. Newly released prisoner Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas), the Armani'd slime who in the 1987 original inspired a generation to pursue MBAs, wants to reconnect with his daughter (Carey Mulligan), who is shacked up with Jake. But this is more about Jake needing a daddy. His real one's gone and his mentor at the trading firm (Frank Langella) throws himself in front of a subway train. So Gekko and Jake forge an alliance based on revenge, profit and, heh-heh, altruism.

But Gekko's declares to an audience at his book-signing that not only is greed good, "Now it seems greed is legal," signaling that he might not be the best father-in-law material.

The conflict carries enough drama to distract. For a while the avarice and ego look sexy. Then we cut to the murky financial
machinations that thread through the plot. A hedge-fund disaster here, a valuation lie there. A primer on economic meltdowns this isn't.

We know we got screwed. We know we screwed ourselves, too. We just need a convenient scapegoat. Feel free to use Brolin's Bretton James as a punching-bag composite of every broker, realtor, trader or banker who sold you something they knew they shouldn't have in the last five years. I felt a little better.

Then sit back and watch the bar graphs plummet and hearts break. Some of the principals confront their selfishness only when it's too late. That just stoked my resentment more.

You'll still be pissed when the lights come up. This is entertainment, not a bailout.

See full article from WalletPop: http://www.walletpop...phere_copyright

#70 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

Wall Street 2 Review from Cannes

Oliver Stone’s “Wall Street” sequel, subtitled “Money Never Sleeps,” is a hit. It’s a formula Hollywood movie in the great sense. For the first time in a long time, the formula works.

There are many good things to say about “Money Never Sleeps.” The script sings and zings with excellent dialogue and memorable one liners. It’s a simple story of greed and morality, with a twist you can see from the beginning. But the players are winning, and Stone doesn’t get bogged down. He plays the 2008 financial crisis like an end of the world movie. It’s “Deep Impact” but the falling Dow Jones averages are meteors hurtling to Earth.

Michael Douglas returns as Gordon Gekko after 23 years. It’s a slow starter performance, deceptively sly. I kind of prefer him this year in “Solitary Man,” but don’t be mistaken: as he says in the film, Gordon Gekko is back.

Lots of great supporting performances: Shia LeBoeuf, Josh Brolin, Carey Mulligan, John Mailer, Susan Sarandon are all great. Eli Wallach is just perfect as the head a sinking Wall Street firm. He’s 93 and better than ever. Charlie Sheen has a welcome, winning cameo as Bud Fox. Sylvia Miles returns as the cranky real estate agent.

WS2 should be released now, not in the fall. It’s very timely. Maybe greed is good now, but so is this movie.

My Oscar prediction: Frank Langella will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor. He is outstanding, and carries the first half hour of the film brilliantly. He leaves an indelible impression.

More to come…

http://www.showbiz41...iew-from-cannes

#71 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

Cannes Review: Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

It's been 23 years since Oliver Stone delivered the first Wall Street and introduced the world to the bad guy most traders these days seem to have taken inspiration from, but it's been a worthy wait. At the Cannes premiere of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps one thing is certain: Gordon Gekko is back.

Released from prison 7 years prior to the beginning of our story, Gekko (Michael Douglas) is a changed man. Unable to get back into his old game and estranged from his daughter Winnie (Carey Mulligan) he's totally broken, and it's not until long into the film, when his actions change the game, that he's once again familiar to us.

And, in fact, after the brief prologue which appears in the trailer, Gekko doesn't actually arrive on screen until the 30-40 minute mark, though he's teased at, like the shark in Jaws, every so often. Instead the story picks up with Shia LaBeouf's character, Jacob, a promising young trader dating Gekko's daughter whose job is destroyed when the investment bank he works for collapses, along with his boss and longtime mentor Lewis Zabel (Frank Langella).

It's through his relationship with Winnie that Jacob meets Gekko and, much like he did with Bud Fox in the original, he takes the young trader under his wing. Of course nothing's so simple with Gordon Gekko, and so the film begins to twist and turn, especially with the introduction of corrupt fat cat Bretton James (Josh Brolin).

It's clear Stone injects plenty of personal politics into the film, and it sets itself against real headlines in 2008. But nevertheless, the story is too compelling for that ever to become too jarring, and actually it's clear that setting the story in this world provides justification to deliver the sequel at all. The markets are a changed place, for better and for worse, and it's interesting watching these characters - some old, some new - interact with that world.

Stone's tone is probably a little off kilter with what most might expect – this isn't a case of more of the same – and there are a few knowing cameos (including Graydon Carter and Stone himself) that distract just a little. A one-scene appearance from Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen) provides a nice continuity with the original, and it's fantastic to witness his first encounter with Gekko since that fateful scene in Central Park.

Douglas is in fine form and slips comfortably back into Gekko's skin, while his interactions with Shia LaBeouf's Jacob are just totally gripping. LaBeouf acquits himself well, too, in a performance a good deal less overstated than we've seen from him in the past.

But most impressive, given how much of the original relied solely on getting to know Fox and Gekko, is that the supporting characters are all fully-formed and integral to the story in one way or another. Brolin might be the foil for Gekko, who's more the hero this time than he was last, but there are plenty of shades of grey for both men, and Bretton James is far from a one-note villain.

Carey Mulligan continues to prove herself as one of Britain's greatest young actors. As Winnie Gekko, she nails the emotion of her character perfectly. And even though Susan Sarandon appears only two or three times as Jacob's mother, her subplot neither outstays its welcome nor is too underdeveloped.

Few could have expected much from Wall Street 2, particularly judging recent form from both Stone and Douglas and the introduction of a new cast of characters. The original is a tough film to live up to, but Money Never Sleeps does exactly that, striking an original direction and proving to be a masterful companion piece.

We didn't need to know what Gordon did next, but Wall Street 2 makes us glad we do.

http://www.cinematic...-review-cannes/

#72 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

Sound like they made a winner out of this.

#73 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

I am so stoked, total boner city about this all day now. I can't wait. Then there is the next issue...do I sleuth through the internets looking for a pirated copy or do I wait?

#74 Timothy

Timothy

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

I would wait and see it on the big screen sir.

#75 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

I think you're right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users