Photo

e-readers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

I like so many of the latest inventions because it means you can downsize the way you live. I can have thousands of books in the palm of my hand, as I can music and other media. Do you know how much space that would take up in a home? To me, less is more. Now if I can only get my wife on board with that one....

Tell me about it! I just made trip after trip to the library to donate boxes of books to their annual used book sale. They were in a storage unit we had since moving a few years back. Literally donated in the hundreds. We still have an entire room lined with bookshelves and books---no other furniture but a table in the center plus we saved several books of valuable books that I'll sell on eBay. Sorting through all those books was such a tough job. We wanted to keep them all but have no space for them. Give two rat-pack readers seventy years each to collect books and it's mind-boggling what you end up with. I haven't bought an actual book since getting my Kindle. I'll bet it 30-40 years, real books will be so rare, any and all titles will be considered collectable in the antiques market. Next I have to tackle learning enough about iTunes to venture into getting one.

#32 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

These hold less than O appeal to me. Just like going to a music store and buying a physical album I'd much prefer to go to a bookstore for a book (preferably hardcover).
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#33 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

Question of those who have e-readers? How do you have your books arranged? I only have seven collections: 1)Games, Notes, Clippings, & misc. 2) Fiction, unread 3) Fiction, read 4) Classics 5) Nonfiction, unread 6) Nonfiction, read 7) Reference Books My three subscriptions just come in without going in a collection: 1) New York Times, 2) AP Politics, and 3) AP Strange. I don't use the archived Items collection...don't really understand what happens to things stored there. Do they go back to Amazon?

#34 *D*

*D*

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

Yeah I am pretty proud of my Stephen King collection i have and Proudly show them in my bookshelf. Now i wouldn't mind having a Kindle or what not for Autobiographies,biographies etc
Think u can draft the ultimate band? Sign up and compete against fellow Syndicate members:http://www.thegnrsyn...id=41300#p41300

#35 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

Question of those who have e-readers? How do you have your books arranged? I only have seven collections:

1)Games, Notes, Clippings, & misc.
2) Fiction, unread
3) Fiction, read
4) Classics
5) Nonfiction, unread
6) Nonfiction, read
7) Reference Books

My three subscriptions just come in without going in a collection: 1) New York Times, 2) AP Politics, and 3) AP Strange. I don't use the archived Items collection...don't really understand what happens to things stored there. Do they go back to Amazon?

1) Books :D
You own the archived books and can download them again any time. Not sure about subscriptions.
Show me your dragon magic

#36 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

1) Books :D
You own the archived books and can download them again any time. Not sure about subscriptions.

Ah! I get it. You can archive books if you're running out of room on your Kindle, which for me won't be any time soon.

I don't think you can archive subscriptions but you can clip articles. Once the news stories have been on your Kindle for a few days, they get automatically deleted when you get new news articles downloaded.

#37 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

I haven't got around to putting my books in collections yet. But I'll probably just do it by genre (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, crime etc.)
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#38 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

Kindle is public library friendly now which is cool.

#39 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

That is good news. Do you have to have a special app from Kindle to do that?

#40 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

That is good news. Do you have to have a special app from Kindle to do that?

No but I don't think you can do it directly from your Kindle, I connect to the library through my computer (or iphone or ipad) and after you choose the book and checkout it connects to my amazon account to verify and download. I usually read kindle books on my ipad now anyway so I can do it all that way, going to give my kindle to my daughter.

Think it will allow me 16 books and my daughter 14 (not sure if that is age, or because we are in different library systems - Brooklyn and Manhattan) and you can keep them for two weeks. They have limited licenses though, which means waiting list. Saw a 75 person waiting list for one book. But a lot of stuff has no waiting list. It also connects to a public domain/out of copyright archive which is nice.

#41 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

I did a little checking at our library's website and it's the same thing with the long waiting lists. I would imagine that will change in time as they get more books available. I also found a discussion at Amazon on this topic and someone said you can't download the loaner books directly on the 3G Kindles, you have to download them to your computer first and then put them on your Kindle from there. I hope that's not true. Sounds like a pain in the neck.

#42 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

I did a little checking at our library's website and it's the same thing with the long waiting lists. I would imagine that will change in time as they get more books available. I also found a discussion at Amazon on this topic and someone said you can't download the loaner books directly on the 3G Kindles, you have to download them to your computer first and then put them on your Kindle from there. I hope that's not true. Sounds like a pain in the neck.

That is true, my 1st gen Kindle won't download directly as far as I can tell. It seemed like popular books had waiting lists but there was a lot of availability in general - just observation though, not a rigorous study.

#43 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Kindle Fire (Android OS) plus touch screen Kindles, and a non-touch screen $79 kindle
http://www.guardian....ire-tablet-live

#44 Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

Administrators

• Admin
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationProvo Spain

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

I'll tell ya what. My wife looooooooves her e reader.
"It was like I was in high school again, but fatter."

#45 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

The Kindle Fire is going to give Apple's iPad a run for their money at just $199.00. They will make up the difference in price by selling apps, books, movies, magazines and music downloads---and in full color! I'd like one but will wait until the second or third generation because they will be adding 3G down the road.

http://www.foxnews.c...le-fire-tablet/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users