244 replies to this topic

#16 Zimbochick

Zimbochick

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

It's all about union busting and nothing to do with balancing the budget. If the governor made no secret of that going into the election then, I for one, don't find it "offensive" that the teachers are striking to protect their rights to collective bargaining. That's not the least bit "offensive" in my book.

Agreed. I find it very tedious that the worst anti-union loudmouths are people who never deign to take jobs in essential services such as teaching, nursing, law enforcement, fire and medical response. They think it's just fine and dandy for someone else to work in piss-poor work environments, and get paid peanuts, as long as it's not them, and as long as they don't hear complaints. Makes me sick.

#17 Evenstar51

Evenstar51

Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

It's all about union busting and nothing to do with balancing the budget. If the governor made no secret of that going into the election then, I for one, don't find it "offensive" that the teachers are striking to protect their rights to collective bargaining. That's not the least bit "offensive" in my book.

Agreed. I find it very tedious that the worst anti-union loudmouths are people who never deign to take jobs in essential services such as teaching, nursing, law enforcement, fire and medical response. They think it's just fine and dandy for someone else to work in piss-poor work environments, and get paid peanuts, as long as it's not them, and as long as they don't hear complaints. Makes me sick.

Count another agreement. This article is a bit more assertive than many I've seen.

http://www.truth-out...of-america67884
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

#18 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

The republicans in wisconsin ran on a campaign of lowering the union's cost and power. It was no secret. They were elected into office. Just because the Democrats don't like that they lost doesn't mean they can shut down government. And before people scream about the Senate, fillibustering is a legal procedure. Running away out of state isn't. Democrats in the Senate still had the ability to pas bills they wanted, take health care for example. But the most offensive thing is teacher's calling off work in oppostion. So much for concern of teaching their students. It's all about themselves. That's the most telling thing out of all of this and why I refuse to acknowledge teachers as some sacred profession deserving of the upmost respect.

That's a pile of shit & you know it. One of my best friends is a teacher in Madison. She loves her kids & it's hard for her to not be w/them but this is about the bigger picture. Who wants to teach in a state that doesn't give a crap about their teachers? Would you? That line about not caring about the students is one of the biggest hjypocricies to come out of the mouths of conservatives. You & all of the other conservatives saying that about teachers is about as offensive as it can get.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#19 Austin

Austin

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Scott Walker, our new idiot governor. What a douche.

I was going to post that last night but wasn't sure if this website is full of anti-union people or not. If Walker's able to limit the collective bargaining rights for teachers several other Republican led states are set to try the same thing. Then they'll try to take away the collective bargaining for police, fire and others. It's unAmerican! Kave Rove was on TV yesterday and out-right said if they can weaken unions we (meaning the Republicans) can limit union's ability to fund raise for elections. First the Supreme Court rules to allow companies to give massive amount of money to politicians but that's not good enough. This is all about winning the next election!

The republicans in wisconsin ran on a campaign of lowering the union's cost and power. It was no secret. They were elected into office. Just because the Democrats don't like that they lost doesn't mean they can shut down government. And before people scream about the Senate, fillibustering is a legal procedure. Running away out of state isn't. Democrats in the Senate still had the ability to pas bills they wanted, take health care for example. But the most offensive thing is teacher's calling off work in oppostion. So much for concern of teaching their students. It's all about themselves. That's the most telling thing out of all of this and why I refuse to acknowledge teachers as some sacred profession deserving of the upmost respect.

What about this, RF, that the governor of WI created the budget problem in order to pursue union busting?

http://3chicspolitic...-union-busting/

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker LYING About State Budget for Union Busting!
Don't Kill In My Name

#20 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Latest development: the unions have conceded to the financials of this bill in order to keep the bargaining rights. The governor won't even agree to that. Now tell me this isn't all about getting rid of unions & nothing to do w/the state budget? Worried about the state budget my ass, he can't even negotiate on bargaining rights??? Now that my friends is a douche nozzle.

#21 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

I don't see how this protest can end without some violence. The governor says he's not going to compromise on his desire to take away collective bargaining and the teachers don't want to back down on that either. He's expressed his willingness to bring out the national guards---has them on stand-by. If he does that, I can see another Kent State where someone gets trigger happy.

#22 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Latest development: the unions have conceded to the financials of this bill in order to keep the bargaining rights. The governor won't even agree to that. Now tell me this isn't all about getting rid of unions & nothing to do w/the state budget? Worried about the state budget my ass, he can't even negotiate on bargaining rights??? Now that my friends is a douche nozzle.

He's going to end up trying to fire all the teachers and start over, I'll bet money on it. I hope the teachers have a good labor lawyer advising them.

#23 delusianne

delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hey Whistler's Mom :) I dont know why but this editing software wont let me link articles or space paras right. Ya fascists!
Anyway, if even financial blogs are hep to teh jive regarding the WI governor's motivation, it should be pretty fucking clear even to the s.renes of the world....

These are at roubini.com, the article titled "Wisconsin Governor Uses police State tactics (Literally) on democratic Senators (Updated)" (can't link to it)
Quote from the above: "as reader petrograd indicates, an analysis of the state’s finances shows this shortfall to be entirely the result of spending increases planned by Walker. The state ran a modest surplus in the latest fiscal year and the projected falls in tax receipts over the next two years were less than $200 million cumulative. So this budget hysteria is a gross distortion of the state’s true condition."
And this at roubini also, same author two days later and even angrier: "Wisconsin Union Battle: A Convenient distraction from the real culprit in state budget woes"
"It is a tribute to the messaging skills of the American corpocracy that a phony budget crisis in Wisconsin has been used to scapegoat unions. This row serves as a very convenient way to shift attention from the real cause of fiscal stress in states that have serious budget gaps (yes, there are a very few states like New Jersey that have gapingpension shortfalls, thanks to years of government use of wildly optimistic return assumptions as an excuse to underfund them, but contrary to the railing of Chris Christie, his state’s problem is an outliers)."
Not unrelated, the Egyptian military has taken to twitter and facebook to build support.

#24 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

This might be the article you were trying to link. In either case, it's an interesting article. http://www.businessi...senators-2011-2

I was having trouble with the editing software here this morning, too.

#25 delusianne

delusianne

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

This might be the article you were trying to link. In either case, it's an interesting article. http://www.businessi...senators-2011-2

I was having trouble with the editing software here this morning, too.

Yes! That's it! Thank you :)
As for the linking problem I just dumped it on the admin :) I suppose we can draw storyboards and have stick figures act them out, and upload those.

the second article also is at naked capitalism:
http://www.nakedcapi...budge-woes.html

#26 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

He's going to end up trying to fire all the teachers and start over, I'll bet money on it. I hope the teachers have a good labor lawyer advising them.

I don't see how that could even be possible, but if that's what he's working towards, he's going to have one hell of a bigger problem on his hands than he already has.

#27 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Walker really screwed it to many many people on this one & we're not going to let him get away w/it w/out a fight. I can't believe the pissant won't even attempt to negotiate on bargaining rights!!!!

#28 Guest_Whistler's Momma_*

Guest_Whistler's Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Why am I now surprised. Koch brothers behind Wisconsin's effort to kill public unions.

http://blogs.forbes....-public-unions/

#29 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

Why am I now surprised. Koch brothers behind Wisconsin's effort to kill public unions.

http://blogs.forbes....-public-unions/

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

#30 freedom78

freedom78

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

Anyone else notice that the people protesting Wisconsin are trying to "stifle discussion" while any protest associated with the Tea Party is patriotic and democratic discourse? All the lies in our politics have got me so fucking disgusted. I can't tell you how many people, whether Walker or others, I've heard parroting that line this past week. Also, I love how the governor keeps pointing out that this law will apply to him as a public employee, as if a governor, a single individual by definition, can collectively bargain.
Sister burn the temple
And stand beneath the moon
The sound of the ocean is dead
It's just the echo of the blood in your head

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users