#46 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

I c
I imagine they would've killed Tony's mother off at some point anyway, but it's an interesting question. There's a real lack of focus in series three and four, and I'm sure things would've been different with Nancy Marchand around.

I doubt she would have lasted the entire series as well. Their dysfunctional relationship was brilliant and I loved how her and uncle June were like a tag team nemesis to Tony. They helped keep him in check so to speak and the series lost that with her death and Junior's role in the series changed once the show lost that element. I loved Junior but once his role in the series changed/was minimized he should have been killed off(or simply died during the cancer scare).

Lack of focus in three and four? Those seasons are pure gold compared to the final two seasons. While season six had a few really good episodes, it was a cluster fuck. Tony basically had a skeleton crew, the NJ crew did not seem to be as powerful as we were led to believe in the beginning, and it felt like they were just making it up as they went along. The all out war that occurred in season six should have happened in 3-4 between Tony-Johnny Sack- Carmine during that Espanade(however you spell it) ordeal.. Would have been stellar as most of the great characters were still alive at that point.

I really enjoyed season three, but it lacked that killer storyline that seasons one and two had. Season four I thought was a mess. Felt like they'd run out of ideas and were just kind of stumbling along. The last episode was great, but all the aggro between NJ and NY before that felt really forced and didn't go anywhere. I remember at the time Chase was looking to finish after four series, and HBO talked him into doing another. It might well have just been him trying to get a pay rise, but it felt like he'd just gone "well, I was planning to end it here, but now I've got to pull a new series out of nowhere to fill the gap", and as such they didn't really seem to know what they were doing.

Season five was better. They definitely seemed tapped out of ideas at that point, but doing a bit of a reboot with a bunch of new characters helped somewhat. It was a bit slow in places, but again it ended strong. Season six I've pretty much forgotten the first half of - easily the most hit and miss of all of them. Frank Vincent was brilliant, and the penultimate episode would be a strong contender for my favourite one ever, but yeah... overall not great. I think they knew the story they wanted to tell, it just wasn't anywhere near big enough to fill all the episodes they had, so they came up with a lot of filler.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#47 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationThe drunkest state north of the mason-dixon line

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Did any of you watch those PBS reality shows where they placed families in certain time periods & had them live by that style for a few months? Like Manor House, Colonial House, Frontier House? I loved those shows, why don't they do that anymore? Anyway, I'm rewatching Frontier House, based in 1883 in Montana, right now & man do I wish I could've done this. Three families, 5 months, hard as shit work but what an experience.
How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money??

#48 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

So because I'm so obsessed w/the show Frontier House, I actually messaged one of the girls from the show on Facebook to ask if she had any info on the other members. LOL, I'm such a stalker.

#49 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

Did any of you watch those PBS reality shows where they placed families in certain time periods & had them live by that style for a few months?.

No
Show me your dragon magic

#50 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Did any of you watch those PBS reality shows where they placed families in certain time periods & had them live by that style for a few months?.

No

Wow, such a detailed response, thank you.

I forget who told me about using youtube to watch the rest of Party of Five but it works fine. Quality isn't as great as regular DVD but it's fine enough.

#51 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

You should be able to find anything on YouTube except Prince.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

#52 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

You should be able to find anything on YouTube except Prince.

Really...I'm going to have to look for him now that you mentioned it.

#53 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

No

Not sure how I can expand on no, thought your post looked lonely and needed some company.

#54 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

No

Not sure how I can expand on no, thought your post looked lonely and needed some company.

Haha, well thank you. Now I command thee to watch "Frontier House"!

#55 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

@wedjat - the BBC have done a few programmes like that in the past. Presumably they sold the idea to PBS, or it happened the other way around. In the last couple of years they've taken a different tack to it, giving it more of a comedy slant and focusing solely on food.

http://en.wikipedia....The_Supersizers

One of those programmes that's pretty decent if there's nothing else on.

Just started watching The Walking Dead tonight. Two episodes in and I'm enjoying it, but part of me is glad it's just a short season. Looks like the kind of thing I could get sick of pretty quick.

Also started watching the final season of The Shield. Looking forward to seeing how it all ends.
"Go ahead, try anything - because you can't fuck up 'Louie, Louie'." --Chris Dahlenhttp://foodstotrybef....wordpress.com/

#56 wedjat

wedjat

Uber bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

@wedjat - the BBC have done a few programmes like that in the past. Presumably they sold the idea to PBS, or it happened the other way around. In the last couple of years they've taken a different tack to it, giving it more of a comedy slant and focusing solely on food.

http://en.wikipedia....The_Supersizers

One of those programmes that's pretty decent if there's nothing else on.

Just started watching The Walking Dead tonight. Two episodes in and I'm enjoying it, but part of me is glad it's just a short season. Looks like the kind of thing I could get sick of pretty quick.

Also started watching the final season of The Shield. Looking forward to seeing how it all ends.

Interesting, I haven't heard of that Supersizers show.

I LOVED The Walking Dead, I can't wait until it starts up again in October. Although I'll admit, the last couple episodes weren't as good as the first ones.

#57 Abaddon

Abaddon

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

So, the Game of Thrones finale was fucking sweet. Gutted it's finished though - leaves me without a weekly show to watch for a while.

#58 Hula

Hula

Members

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

So, the Game of Thrones finale was fucking sweet. Gutted it's finished though - leaves me without a weekly show to watch for a while.

it was great wasn't it. I will miss the hot handsome warrior Khal Drogo for sure. I am loving the books. finished the second one and on to the third.

did anyone get into the other HBO series? Deadwood...I was crushed when that went off the air. I liked Rome too, we got into Oz a year or so after it started and Entourage is excellent, sorry that is in it's final season.

#59 TAP

TAP

Advanced Member

• TFHL Peep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Still only got through episode 2, so I have 8 left :P Just got free HBO for the summer also so can even watch it legally :)

#60 AxlsMainMan

AxlsMainMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Breaking Bad starts again in a month.
"Whereas scientists, philosophers and political theorists are saddled with these drably discursive pursuits, students of literature occupy the more prized territory of feeling and experience." - Terry Eagleton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users